Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Thanks and ColorCalibration...

Thanks and ColorCalibration...
ianm
Jan 14, 2000, 01:46 AM

Hello,

Thanks to those who helped me with my iMac display problems (compressing screen).

I took it to CompUSA and after a good wait its back, and works. Dean (very helpful) said it was the Main Analog Board. I asked about the powersupply having to be replaced with it and he said that was just with the older models with a single analog board (hence one being Main).

To my question...
Its back, it works, but the color is all fubar. I can't make it any darker. It does not display as it should, much too light.

I have tried calibrating it and even with brightness all the way down (contrast all way up) its not the correct color (the little oval with the two grey rectangles in the calibration panel will not ever be as they describe it should). I rendered an image on it with bryce and put on my PC and my Mac and on the Mac there is no detail due to the fact all colors are washed out/too light. This was not always as it is.

Any ideas on what else to try?

Many Thanks,ian

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2000, 02:02 AM

I don't know the background info on your iMac's monitor problems but it sounds as if the monitor (CRT) should've been replaced when the board was... I mean, they must've looked at it after 'fixing' it...

I'd want it (CRT) replaced while under warranty, ASAP.

perhaps there is another reason for this problem other than the CRT being bad, whatever, it should be attended to by a Service Technician.

ianm
Jan 14, 2000, 02:19 AM

Doh....

I guess another call to Apple it is..

ATM with contrast all the way up and brightness all the way down its brighter than my PC interface by enough to be painful.
Crapola...

thanks, ian

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2000, 10:25 PM

There are two little knobs on the analog video board which control the "brightness" and focus of the screen. When the board comes as a service part from Apple, this can be miscalibrated and that leads to a sort of "too-green-and-bright" display. Take the machine back to the shop and tell them to crack your case and perform the colorsync adjustments in the "monitors" control panel using both the onscreen controls and the knobs on the video board. The CRT doesn't need to be replaced- I have NEVER seen one of those go bad, and I've replaced my fair share of Analog/Video boards and never have I come across a bad CRT.

It still needs a little adjustment, but if you're getting video, you won't have to wait for a new part to come in, and as we all know, that's a good thing!

(BTW, it's not our fault -speaking for techs at CompUSA- that it takes so long to get parts.. the bureaucratic process of parts ordering is so ridiculous, we don't have control over 85% of it anyway.)

ianm
Jan 15, 2000, 11:25 PM

Well, its not green, more of a deep blue-green. Almost the SeaBlue color in the Mac crayons, just a bit darker.

Thanks for the advice, and I will be heading to CompUSA monday most likely.

Do you know if I have to pay for this sort of thing?

Many thanks,
ian

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2000, 05:19 AM

You won't have to pay for it- just bring it in as a rework.. NW-02 service type.. and it will take care of itself!

Forum Links
Forum Rules