Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Issue with new Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11ac

Issue with new Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11ac
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2014, 03:21 AM

I just purchased an AEBS (new model with 802.11ac). I'm using it with Comcast internet service using a Motorola Surfboard SB6121.

I have a very odd and frustrating issue. The internet simply blips in and out. I have it set up with WiFi and have connected devices such as my iPhone, iPad, Mac Pro, and a Chromebook to it. I have the issue on all devices so I know it's not device specific.

The network itself never goes away. When I look at the WiFi area on my Mac even when the internet isn't working it shows it's connected to the WiFi network. Also, when the internet is not working the green light is on and staying lit (not blinking) on the AEBS so it appears the WiFi Network part of it works fine.

As mentioned it's the internet service itself that blips in and out. What I mean by this is it may come on for 40 secs, go off for 20 secs, back on again, and off, just like that. I have not timed it and that would be hard but it seems to be very regular, something like 40 on, 20 off, and it may not even vary at all. It's a very bizarre issue. I have also direct connected the modem via ethernet to my Mac Pro. I used it for several problems with no problem so I know it's not the modem.

The only thing I can think of is I received a defective AEBS. I purchased it through Amazon and I almost contacted them to do a replacement and send this one back. Yet I'm hoping it's something simple with the settings. Now I have already done a factory reset of the AEBS and that did not help. Yet I'm hoping it's simply a setting that I need to modify or wipe out. Any idea of what's causing this or is it simply a defective base station?

Thanks for your help.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2014, 04:36 AM

First things first, does the issue persist when you hardwire something into a LAN port on the AEBS?
Is the AEBS issuing addresses via DHCP?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ibook_steve
Sep 15, 2014, 04:19 PM

Yes, more likely it's the cable modem that is the problem. Hard wiring to it is a good test. Also, what do the lights look like on the modem? Do they change when the connection goes down?

Sounds like you'll have to deal with Comcast tech support. I feel for you.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Thorzdad
Sep 16, 2014, 12:55 PM

What are the DNS settings on the AEBS, and is it set to share an IP address with connected equipment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules