Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: This War of Mine 1.1 (iOS)

Hands On: This War of Mine 1.1 (iOS)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 16, 2015, 11:00 AM

What makes a game a "game?" Is it fun? Entertainment or enjoyment is derived from playing it? We'd like to think that, there's more to games than that. A game doesn't have to be fun to make it a rewarding experience, but can instead force you to experience things that make you think. One particular game that embodies this exact principle is This War of Mine, a game recently ported to the iPad.

As you may have guessed, This War of Mine isn't about fun. The game isn't about being entertained, or enjoying yourself. Instead, This War of Mine is an interactive thought exercise, a simulation of what daily life is like for civilians during war. That's right -- instead of focusing on the military aspect like most war-centric games do, This War of Mine shows the struggles of normal people trying to survive in an active warzone. These civilians, while each is unique to the others, aren't equipped on their own to survive, so you'll have to help them work together until the war is over.
The story follows a group of randomly-selected characters as they attempt to survive amidst a brutal war. You start out with a few survivors holed up in a makeshift shelter. Immediately, you're tasked with picking through the war-torn remains of the house you're in, finding scrap to craft needed things with. During the day, you spend a majority of the time trying to perfect your imperfect home. Building beds, chairs, stoves, and radios becomes not only a way to improve your base, but a way to pass the time. At night, one of your survivors runs into the darkness to scavenge for supplies like food, wood, metal, weapons and ammunition, anything to help them thrive.
The game eventually pits you with some pretty heavy moral choices. You'll come across households filled with supplies. Unfortunately, these same households will be filled with people, and you'll be forced to make the call on whether or not you should kill them to save your own people. We'd actually covered the Steam version a while back in much more depth, so we encourage you to check it out if you're looking to become more acquainted with the game's storyline. What we're looking to talk about is just how well the game ported over to the iPad.
This War of Mine is pretty much a direct port from the PC version, which is great if you're looking to play the game on the go, or don't feel like playing it on a computer. Controlling the characters is no different from the original version, replacing the mouse-click with a simple tap. Selecting characters can be done by tapping on them, or on their portrait at the bottom of the screen. The game ran wonderfully on our iPad Mini, with no lag and no hiccups, though we might wish that you could zoom in just a little more to read the character dialogue when it pops up. Overall, it's a great port, and we highly recommend it if you're looking for a game with some serious depth.
The game isn't what most people would consider "fun" in the traditional sense, but it is worth playing. It is the kind of game that grips you, makes you thankful for what you've got, and really forces you to think about what you find important in life. We strongly suggest grabbing it just for the experience of playing such a dark, thought-provoking game that borders on a bona-fide work of art. This War of Mine is available for the iPad, and costs $10. Who This War of Mine is for: If you're looking for a deeply emotional experience with a game, as well as some difficult gameplay, this is the game for you. Who This War of Mine isn't for: If you prefer your games lighthearted and playful, steer clear of this gut-wrenching tale of human perseverance and moral morasses. -- Amber Neely (@SurferAmber) Readers: do you have an app that you'd like to see us review? Developers: do you want us to take a look at your app? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.

Forum Links
Forum Rules