Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do people stare when you bring out your iBook in public?

Do people stare when you bring out your iBook in public?
neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 05:28 PM

I know this is a *really* stupid question, but living in N.Ireland, I have *never* seen anybody bring out a laptop in public. I go into the centre of Belfast most days in the week, and not once, in cafe's, restaurant's, garden' s or shopping centres have I ever seen anyone lift out a laptop (nevermind an iBook!). Similarly, of all the flights I've been on, I've never seen anyone lift out a laptop!

I just bought a 2nd hand iBook 466Mhz to compliment my G4 667Mhz, and am getting paranoid as to whether people will stare at me!

What do I do? Do I just sit there staring at the screen, or do I look up and smile?!

A little help guys?

lol!

Neil
I no longer have a signature.

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2001, 05:43 PM

My advice: relish in it. I brought in my new baby to my design history class to show off a website.. We were supposed to bring in an item we felt reflected the current design trends. Unfortunately I hadn't registered my Airport card yet with the University so I couldn't get access to the site.

No matter, I just showed off the iBook instead and received quite a number of ooohs and aaaahhs. Try that with a PC laptop. Not even the VAIOs can illicit that kind of response.

Just be sure you chain the thing to your wrist so that no one tries to run off with it..
-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

cmcleod design
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2001, 08:52 PM

well i would stare at someone with the iBook. But soon it will be them staring at me once i get my icebook!!!

Circa
Senior User
Jun 23, 2001, 09:08 PM

Ya haven't seen to many people pull out laptops either...
Circa

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 04:53 AM

I know what you mean, I take my G3 Powerbook to school every so often and I hate to whip it out and start working on a project because I always get stares from passerbys. When you're working on your just make surer you don't leave it lying about anywhere. I know two people that have had laptops stolen practically from under their respective noses. You get some ridicule from PC folks though on a Mac in any case, especially laptops, because they want to taunt you by quoting clock speeds to you like it means anything. I was justified one time in particular though when a dude whipped out a VAIO and proceded to brag about how much better his laptop was than mine and how much Apples suck. I took it in stride because an hour later he lost half of his work because his battery died and he forgot his power cable. I still had two and a half hours left on mine. I'm sort of looking forward to maybe grabbing an IceBook so it's even easier to tote around than my PB.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2001, 07:46 AM

I got my iBook last week in France... an iceBook if you please...

Anyway, yesterday, me and my new baby had a little show-off session. First, I went to the French National Library(BNF) with my iBook and took it out. Everyone on the same table as me just could not licking my iBook with their eyes... especially the library is really dark and the glowing Apple logo lights up visibly.

Then, I took my baby to a bar and while waiting for my girlfriend to appear, I was organzing few things on Entourage... and I hate to say this... but trust me, you can get girls with this new iBook. Now here is the funny part. Since me and my Mexican girlfriend speek in English, people around us didn't know we could speek French. That's when I heard that one of the girls not too far from me actually say that she is more than ready to "grab that notebook and run away with it". Plus she was fine... If my cheek wasn't there... woooo... grab me also with my iBook!!!

Anyway, get it... your sex life will be good and your computing life on the road will be even better.

neilnet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 09:16 AM

lol!

I sort of know what the attention is like because of my Palm V (you know the thing - people you don't really associate yourself with start stopping you and questioning you about it, claiming that they actually really like you despite never having never spoken to you) and IMHO, after a while it can get annoying! I think the lure of Apple gadgets (as well as PDA's, digital camera watches, tiny MP3 players and cool cell phones) is that they all look expensive to Joe technophobe. Little do they know that they're actually pretty cheap as well!

On the one hand I can promote Apple by telling the people that it's actually cheap, or on the other I can sit there and pretend that it's really expensive and stay individual whilst gaining attention.

Maybe I should go into the main park and sit there with a wireless connection between my Palm and phone to see people's reaction! A business adventure anyone? I can see it now... 'Our company will provide you with the most attention you have ever had by providing you with the very latest in technology at affordable costs...'

I am sort of worried about the iBook's protection though, as *no-one*, not even the multi-trillion pound (UK - so no $'s here!) businessman ever uses their laptop in public. How do you cope with the security? Do you sit/lie there with one hand clutching it looking like a moron or do you appear cool but secretly have a SWAT team surrounding you ready to open fire on any evil-doer?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Neil

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2001, 10:11 AM

Back in the college days, I got over my public fear. Me and my IBM StinkPad would frequently sit down and do work in "odd" places. The breakrooms on my campus were wired (this was 1997, no wireless), and someitimes I even find a nice perch under a tree outside. Even a ThinkPad gets ogglers.

However, since the computer friendly campus days, I'm really hesitant to whip out a laptop in public. Every time I do laundry I sit there bored just thinkning about my iBook. No way I'm gunna show it off to the degenerates there (its next to a liquor store ).

Here in the US its pretty much standard practice to whipout your computer on the plane. On my last flight 5 of the 6 folks in the row infront of me had their laptops out and working. I've only taken one trip with my iBook so far. Watched movies and played games. None of the other passengers oggled, however one stewardess did. Talked to me about it for a couple of minutes because she was "thinking f buying one." The usual: liked the looks ("its cute") but was affraid of it being a Mac ("there's no software"). I hopeI relieved her fears and got us another convert!

Trip #2 is later today. I'll let you know if I get any ogglers or converts.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2001, 10:13 AM

Now I don't mean to get off on a rant here, but I guess that in the US, public use of portable computers is becoming more common. Especially with either these business suit-wearing corporate Starbuckers or the liberal artsy non-prescription glasses-wearing haiku-writing bagel-eating types. I used to go in Dunkin' Donuts to see cops sitting around eating jelly rolls and construction workers drinking coffee-flavored coffee, eating donuts, and smoking cigarettes. Now you go in there and there's soup flying around and people are wearing berets and writing poetry on computers... You can't even get a cup of coffee anymore. They've got every flavor of coffee except for coffee-flavored coffee! Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Anyway, for me, it's just fun to kinda show off my new iBook while looking like a normal person. I was tempted to sit down under a tree at school last week and do some studying/note revising on my iBook (knowing that I'd draw some attention), but the ground was a little wet, I had a couple other things to do inside (like try to figure out how to hook my AV cable up to the classroom TV so we can watch a movie in class next week), and some of the people sitting around outside were lighting things on fire and sticking them in their heads, which didn't look (or smell) very pleasing. So I declined. But the weather was so nice! I may decide to do it this coming Thursday when I'll get out of my first class early again.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: STAT ]
Apple user since 1987

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2001, 10:46 AM

At our university, it's pretty common to use a laptop, especially in the libraries. But most people have big old portable computers, and so I got some really nice reviews for my iBook. Like "Hey, what's that? Looks like... that's not Windows!" Took me some time to persuade them it's even more useable than a Windows laptop.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 24, 2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by neilnet:
<STRONG>Similarly, of all the flights I've been on, I've never seen anyone lift out a laptop! </STRONG>
a few months ago, i flew business class to India from London and quite happily sat there editing digital video on my iBook. the crew were fascinated and let me and my brother into the cockpit for a while afterwards, shooting film of us sat in the captain's chair

as for bringing it out in public where i live (Birkenhead, Merseyside)? i don't think it would last five minutes. that's always assuming the thugs round here knew what it was...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2001, 11:05 AM

Yeah. You do get a lot of oogles and googles in public. But it's damn worth it. Working in coffee shops with people staring at you and your laptop can be weird at first, but you soon get used to it.

Especilly if you have a TiBook. Man, people come up to me and start asking questions about it all the time. If a guy looking like Inkahnto can get girls with it, maybe it's hope for me too...hehe

Hehe, I'm taken btw.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Opus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 02:24 PM

Maybe it's just me., but I can even remember breaking out my new iBook DVD on the bus a few times in the last couple of weeks to do some revisions on the way to school, etc. I brought it out for a presentation in one of my classes and my prof. said "Wow, that blows away my Vaio i paid $3000 for 6 months ago." Could be Seattle, but I rarely go into a coffee shop out here and not see a laptop...

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Opus ]

neilnet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 02:58 PM

Maybe I should take it out at every available chance and become more of an outgoing person in general... all thanks to Apple!

Trip #2 is later today. I'll let you know if I get any ogglers or converts.
Thanks Korv

STAT, we also have Dunkin' Donuts over here, but no Starbucks I'm afraid. Do you get free food,coffee or soft drinks because your attracting attention from people outside who are enticed to come in?

Eric exclaimed:
Especilly if you have a TiBook. Man, people come up to me and start asking questions about it all the time. If a guy looking like Inkahnto can get girls with it, maybe it's hope for me too...hehe
I was really tempted to sell the 667Mhz and get a TiBook, but figured that the iBook would be a better investment for the summer as it's unlikely to be updated again, whereas the Ti probably will. If it turns out I can cope with all the attention from the iBook, I'll maybe upgrade to a TiBook and joyfully glee at everyone!

Oh, and Opus - no-one in N.Ireland who gets a bus would even know what a laptop was so I wouldn't worry about that!

Keep the posts coming!

Neil

Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 03:48 PM

Okay so sometimes my job gets boring, sitting around all day at a desk playing on a computer and every now and then having to deal with people. Once I picked up my iBook2 I started bringing it with me to work so I had games I could play on it, or watch movies (DVD model). One girl last week came up to me and started asking me questions about it and saying she had just finished looking at one at CompUSA (poor girl). She said they looked good and liked them, and so I showed her how it looked while playing a DVD and just putzing on it in general. She seemed to like it and I told her that if she picked it up I'd be happy to help her set it up for the network at school and any other problems she might have, oh and she was cute . I start up some summer school in downtown Portland next week. I'll be taking it with me when I go down so this way I can get work done to and from the school on the bus. I'll let others know how it goes.

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2001, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>
Then, I took my baby to a bar and while waiting for my girlfriend to appear, I was organzing few things on Entourage... and I hate to say this... but trust me, you can get girls with this new iBook. Now here is the funny part. Since me and my Mexican girlfriend speek in English, people around us didn't know we could speek French. That's when I heard that one of the girls not too far from me actually say that she is more than ready to "grab that notebook and run away with it". Plus she was fine... If my cheek wasn't there... woooo... grab me also with my iBook!!!

Anyway, get it... your sex life will be good and your computing life on the road will be even better. </STRONG>
Hm... it was the startup sound what catched the attention of my library neighbour. And she was really nice, too... unfortunately, she had a Wintel machine and that's certainly a mesalliance for a Macaholic like me.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Janger:
<STRONG>

Hm... it was the startup sound what catched the attention of my library neighbour. And she was really nice, too... unfortunately, she had a Wintel machine and that's certainly a mesalliance for a Macaholic like me. </STRONG>
Hey man, I love my iBook an 'ol... but if there is a fine woman in front of me, I don't care if she is a Wintel fan or Mac fan. Hell, I wouldn't even care even if she has a Dell.

You should turn your eyes away your Mac once awhile... you should go out a little bit more.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 07:26 PM

Into the center of Belfast, huh? I'd leave it at home, if you die in a bombing there's no reason to deprive your family of a little inheritance.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 07:57 PM

i get the most work done in public libaries and bookstores with coffeeshops, where i can't be distracted by an internet connection. i like taking my PBG3 with me, fire up iTunes, wear headphones and listen while i work, have 2 batteries in both bays and never worry about running out of juice. there are always people working on their laptops at coffeeshops here in Houston, mostly PC's of course. so i feel comfortable taking my powerbook with me. i haven't seen someone with an iBook though, rev. 1 or 2.

todrain
Senior User
Jun 24, 2001, 08:10 PM

Apple portables always get lots of attention....

When I used to bring my PowerBook 180 to the Campus Library, everyone wanted to see it.

I think more people were interested in the old iBook, however. The new one is beautiful, but the old one drew attention due to the funky colors.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2001, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Korv:
<STRONG>Trip #2 is later today. I'll let you know if I get any ogglers or converts. </STRONG>
Intense business trip + only a 2 hour plane flight = no free time. I elected not to take the iBook as I wouldn't have any time to show it off... er... I mean use it.

neilnet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 06:19 AM

Into the center of Belfast, huh? I'd leave it at home, if you die in a bombing there's no reason to deprive your family of a little inheritance.
Actually it's not as bad as foreign news readers make it out to be - It's only really certain areas that are affected, and thankfully the centre of Belfast isn't really one of those areas. In fact, the only time I even came remotely close to getting blown up was when I went into a central bank to close an a/c, and some moron stormed in with a gun demanding some dosh! I just stood there twiddling my fingers looking innocent .

Sure there's the odd bomb scare, but so far I've been safe (touch wood).

Besides, I'm sure my iBook could protect me . I don't know how, but I'm sure it could! On the other hand it could draw attention to me...

Neil

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2001, 07:54 AM

Hi Neilnet hows it going?

Hope things arew well in Northern Ireland. My old mans folks are from Londonderry originally... Im in Australia of course.

As for the ibook q's

I have an indigo ibook myself. I love it - its a great machine and I use it for work, play and general stuff.

I havent used it in public much. Likewise, I dont see a lot of people sitting in public with their computers.

Ive pulled it out (the ibook that is ) at a library before and it did feel like everyone was looking at me.

Id have no trouble using it at uni or any kind of educational or business environment. I work in web design and even in my field I get heaps of suprised faces and "oohs" and "aahs" at my ibook.

In public though, im not sure. It depends where you are I guess - your ibook is a valuable item and there are heaps of thugs out there so Id be wary pulling it out and looking like a smartass in public. The americans seem to think its fine, but in the UK and Australia Im not so sure people think a lot of it. Its viewed sometimes as a little pretentious.

I dunno - youve got to work that one out for yourself.

On a plane, go for it, - so long as you dont mind the person next to you watching what you are doing.

Gotta love ibooks though - they really do turn heads.

1 last point - you did buy the ibook for its portability, so it seems kind of silly not to use it out in the open - but discretion is the key man

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Chimpmaster ]
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

neilnet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 12:34 PM

Hope things arew well in Northern Ireland. My old mans folks are from Londonderry originally... Im in Australia of course.
Hi Chimp, on a side note, can you guess where most of my relatives are? Good guess - Melbourne to be precise.

Ive pulled it out (the ibook that is ) at a library before and it did feel like everyone was looking at me.

Id have no trouble using it at uni or any kind of educational or business environment. I work in web design and even in my field I get heaps of suprised faces and "oohs" and "aahs" at my ibook.
Oh err... a library - aren't they supposed to be quite places? It seems that almost everywhere you go there are 'oohs and aahs'!

In public though, im not sure. It depends where you are I guess - your ibook is a valuable item and there are heaps of thugs out there so Id be wary pulling it out and looking like a smartass in public. The americans seem to think its fine, but in the UK and Australia Im not so sure people think a lot of it. Its viewed sometimes as a little pretentious.
I see what you mean... I've never actually posed with a laptop in other countries, but I know that over here (and Oz I take it) people do look on in a somewhat pretentious manner when you use a laptop - jealousy? Are Americans different? I mean, can you guys pull out a laptop and make people feel happy inside.. lol!

On a plane, go for it, - so long as you dont mind the person next to you watching what you are doing.
On the other hand youy could actuall tell the person next to you what you're doing (as in the iBook ad). Hehe!

Thanks!

Neil

-Q-
Jun 25, 2001, 02:34 PM

I love the attention I get when I whip out the new iBook ("'scuse me while I whip this out)!

I was on a trip to NY a few weeks ago and had the rows next to me and in front of me checking it out...

So I say relish it! It gives you the opportunity to show off your new toy, but also to show people that Macs not only look cool, but are also effective tools.

Q

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 02:57 PM

the only time i got asked a question while computing in public, it wasn't about my PB but the Wacom tablet I use with it. here, you go to a bookstore and there's hardly a free table at the coffeeshop, everyone is either working on something or studying. so it's really not show-offy to whip out a laptop. most people keep to themselves. we're all just trying to be productive.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 25, 2001, 03:50 PM

I get a lot of Lookers too. most folks use wintel machines at the school library. while they wait for their machines to boot up I pull out my ibook and work away I really like the battery and could leave it in my back pack for the day ( about 5 hours). I get some sneers from windows users but when I start my virtual PC they get confused!!!
try that with your Pee Cee!! my mac is totally compatible!!
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2001, 05:18 PM

at what? me or the iBook?
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>

Hey man, I love my iBook an 'ol... but if there is a fine woman in front of me, I don't care if she is a Wintel fan or Mac fan. Hell, I wouldn't even care even if she has a Dell.

You should turn your eyes away your Mac once awhile... you should go out a little bit more.

</STRONG>
I don't know how my girlfriend thinks about that point... Besides, I am just finishing my MA and have not seen anything except for the library and my own desktop for some months now. Man, how I would love to go out... just one more week.

neilnet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2001, 07:49 AM

OK - my conclusion from the topic so far is that most of us Mac users like to show off our Macs, and so I too should walk in public places with a smile from one ear to the other holding my iBook high in the air for all to see.

Ooh! All the attention - thanks Apple!

Neil

btw - etard, I meant stare at both... lol!

Forum Links
Forum Rules