Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Which is better for newbies: X or 9?

Which is better for newbies: X or 9?
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2001, 10:59 AM

If today you had a Mac to set up for your Grandma, who had never used a computer before, would you set it up with X or 9?

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2001, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG>If today you had a Mac to set up for your Grandma, who had never used a computer before, would you set it up with X or 9?</STRONG>
I would set it up with Mac OS X. I think Mac OS X is easier to use, but the main reason for me would be, that Mac OS X is the future of the Mac OS. If a newbie learns how to use Mac OS X now there is no need to change habits in a few years/months. Mac OS X will become the only OS to run new software or new hardware.
Learning how to use Mac OS 9 is learning how to use a dying OS. In about 3 or 4 Years no new Mac will run Mac OS 9. Sure, you can use your "old" Mac for a long time, but sooner or later there will be the need for a new Mac and with that new Mac the need to learn how to use Mac OS X.
So why learn how to use two different Operating Systems (OSs?)

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2001, 11:52 AM

Hmmm... On the one hand, OS X has multiple users and the file-system is a little bit more complex. But on the other hand, stick a couple of icons on her desktop, point out the Go menu and enable auto-login for her, and it's as easy as, well, OS 9.

OS 9's Control Panels and AppleMenu are a complete mess and this is another reason I'd give my vote to X. The Dock is as foolproof as it gets (not that I'm calling anyone's Grandmother a fool)

Chris

unimacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2001, 11:59 AM

<STRONG>If today you had a Mac to set up for your Grandma, who had never used a computer before, would you set it up with X or 9?</STRONG>
If grandma has a reasonable speedy machine and just wants to send email, maybe browse the web, I'd be tempted to go with X. Grandmas hate to reboot just because an app crashed.

I actually think for the majority of new users, Mac OS X is easier to manuever, so to speak. The dock, for all it's faults, keeps things right in front of you where they're easy to get at.

The big problem though is apps. If grandma wants to run quark or photoshop, then she's going to be subjected to the OS 9 UI regardless of whether she's running X or not, so then maybe X isn't the best choice.

On the other hand, if Grandma, wants to do Java development. X is the only way to go!

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2001, 01:34 PM

I also would go with MacOS X for almost the same reasons most of the posters mentioned already plus Grandma does not have to worry about Virtual Memory und giving Applications more Memory (and the Error/Dialog Boxes related to that).
On the other hand if she uses mostly Classic Apps it could be somewhat confusing to her to have another OS starting up (or maybe not, but I think it would be for me), if she�s ok with that than give her X if not 9 will do.

cu

Richard Clark
Senior User
Jul 2, 2001, 01:38 PM

The majority of apps will be for OS 9 or in the Classic environment. It would be confusing for Grandma to understand. If the apps were all OS X native then I would say X. But until that happens the easiest would be OS 9.
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

PowerBookDude
Jul 2, 2001, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
<STRONG>The majority of apps will be for OS 9 or in the Classic environment. It would be confusing for Grandma to understand. If the apps were all OS X native then I would say X. But until that happens the easiest would be OS 9.</STRONG>
Grandma is not going to be using PhotoShop. Grandma would be surfing, e-mailing, and MAYBE write a letter. Which can be done is OS X just fine with no need for Classic.

zoloko
Jul 2, 2001, 04:38 PM

Grandma is not going to be using PhotoShop. Grandma would be surfing, e-mailing, and MAYBE write a letter. Which can be done is OS X just fine with no need for Classic.
that's true
--------

Zoloko

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2001, 05:02 PM

I agree. Unless there is a specific app or piece of hardware that requires OS 9, it's OS X all the way!

Forum Links
Forum Rules