Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cursor slow to change

Cursor slow to change
onemilehigh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 07:31 PM

I find that the cursor shape, (i.e insertion bar, left or right pointer, etc.) is very slow to change with Word 2001 as you move around on the screen. I did not have this problem with Word 98.

I'm using a 733/G4, so it seems strange that I have to wait almost 1 full second for the curror to display its proper shape when moving from text, to the formatting toolbar or to the menus at the top of the screen. I find this delay very annoying.

Has anyone else noticed this? I tried turning off other options, like spell checking, etc., but the cursor still takes forever to change shape when moving to different parts of the screen.

Any ideas on how to eliminate this delay would be appreciated.

-Scott

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 10:18 PM

I just "de-installed" Word2001 from my iMac DV400. (You can download "Remove Office" utilities from Microsoft.com.) Sending a Word 2001 document to my printer took forever, or at least it seemed that way--I could go upstairs, make myself a snack , come back down, and it still would be sending (or "connecting") to the printer. I took 2001 off and replaced it with Word98, which works like a charm.

I got 2001 as a free upgrade, so it wasn't much of a financial loss, but I can't figure out why Word2001 was so freakin' slow!

Jun 5, 2001, 06:13 AM

I'm using a 733/G4, so it seems strange that I have to wait almost 1 full second for the curror to display its proper shape when moving from text, to the formatting toolbar or to the menus at the top of the screen.
Same for me here on a G4/533, doesn't seem to depend on the processor speed.
Did you try to install the service release 1 (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/office2001/sr1.asp) ? I have no idea if this fixes the problem.

onemilehigh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 09:57 AM

Yes, I did install the MS Office 2001 SR1 Updater. It did not help any with this problem of the cursor being so slow to change.

Jun 5, 2001, 12:51 PM

I think we can only hope for the next service release. Seems to be the same logic as for Windows, things only start to work after at least the 3rd service pack...

Forum Links
Forum Rules