Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no available users

no available users
jillz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 11:10 AM

hi can anyone help me,after a recent split with my husband i tried to change users account my 12yr old told me he knew how to do it but guess what hes messed everything up iv tried the install disc but on the hd it says no available users so im completely locked out now..any help would be so greatful

reader50
Administrator
Aug 19, 2008, 12:15 PM

He probably changed names on the user folder, and possibly permissions. It's not super-difficult to fix, but we'd need more info first, to figure out what exactly happened.

If you want access back quickly, do an Archive Install per Apple's instructions. Afterwards, you'll end up with a new user account, and you'll have to go fishing in the old Users folder to get back your data files.

jillz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2008, 07:23 PM

iv tried using a disc iv worked out that the hd is 10.4.11 but the disc iv got here is 10.5.2 so its the wrong disc my husband must have the other and im not asking him for anything.i really dont no what my son as done,think il go and hit his father over the head with the damn thing

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2008, 01:03 PM

I think you're better off bringing the computer into an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. They can probably help you out pretty quickly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules