Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New 23" Apple Cinema Display problems

New 23" Apple Cinema Display problems
ionic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 10:54 AM

I ordered a 23" ACD along with a Mac Pro. The display came several days ago, and the Mac will come in about a week. While I'm still waiting for the Mac Pro to arrive, I hooked the ACD up to my PC to give it a try. Several times now the screen will not power off when I tap the side button, nor will the brightness up/down work. If I unplug the monitor's power and plug it back in, it will work again. I can't imagine this is due to using the monitor with a PC, but I thought it was possible. I also have a small amount of backlight bleed, but fortunately no dead pixels at all. Does this sound like a warranty issue? Since I haven't received the Mac yet to try it with, I wanted to verify if using it with a PC would cause this problem.

Thanks.

Geronimo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 10:21 AM

I have the same problem.
I changed my video card and that was the starting point for this problem. It is very annoying and i'm desperatley looking for an answer.
Dunno if its tha fault of my new asus 7900GTX 512mb or the monitor is broken...
does anyone have a clue?
Thanks

ionic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 01:14 PM

Geronimo, I sent you a response to your private message. Below is more information I thought of after replying.

For anyone interested, since receiving the Mac Pro, the 23" ACD's peculiar button behavior has stopped. I attributed it to some kind of incompatibility with the signal the monitor was receiving from the PC graphics card. Since the Mac Pro has the capability of controlling the ACD's power and brightness functions via the DVI connection, I assume the Mac graphics cards are designed to "talk" to the ACD's specifically, whereas something from the PC graphics card might have been lost in translation somewhere. I never did solve the problem conclusively on the PC, but I did find a third party (not Apple) display driver for Windows XP that gives you some of the OS control features over the 20" and 23" ACD. I can no longer find the driver online as the website I downloaded it from seems to have gone offline, but I would be glad to send the driver file to anyone who sends me a private message requesting it. I am currently using that driver on the Mac in BootCamp since BootCamp curiously does not include a Windows ACD driver.

I decided that the backlight bleed was not bad enough to worry about it. I've seen LCD's with far worse bleeding. Since the screen has no dead pixels, which is more important to me than the backlight bleed, I am satisfied.

Forum Links
Forum Rules