Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The customer is rarely right

The customer is rarely right
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 03:38 PM

Two Phrases That Destroyed American Culture - Violent Acres

I cannot stand watching waiters, cashiers, or salespeople getting treated with disrespect. I hate shopping with my mom for that very reason: she gets unreasonably bitchy.

Why can't people express dissatisfaction without being an ass? You don't have to be a Buddhist monk to be polite.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 03:45 PM

In my case, I think the problem might be that I let my level of dissatisfaction get very high before I take action, at which point, my tone is less than polite.

Thankfully, this happens pretty rarely.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 03:53 PM

Being nice to everyone around you definitely pays off in spades. It makes your life much more pleasant. People who always act like dicks generally get treated like dicks back. It's a self perpetuating cycle. You start to think everyone is out to get you and you start acting like more of an ass which in turn makes everyone else act more like an ass.

I see it all the time.

Then again, the inverse is also true. I can't stand being treated like a jerk by retail employees. Many of them look at you like they want you to fall over dead right there on the spot. They don't even try.

I understand how hard it is to work with the general public. I did it for years. But the flip side of having that understanding is that I also remember how much effort I put into being good at customer service and I get annoyed when people don't put forth the same effort.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

I believe that customer service is #1. Sure there's always a story or two that rightfully points out the bitch in the picture, but that happens.
Rarely have I had to emulate the bitch (bastard) role, but sometimes there's a person who really shouldn't be doing that job.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Two things GREATLY improve your chances of getting your way:

1) Being a complete asshole, but having the legal clout to potentially cause a real hassle.

2) Being nice.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jun 11, 2008, 03:57 PM

I think it's very rare, that you win anything by being an ass towards the people who service you, that be the waiter, salesperson or the local mechanic.
I really try to behave, and explain the situation and why I'm not satisfied with whatever treatment I was given, and that usually helps a lot more, than being rude.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 04:04 PM

I've also always found that having large Sicilian men with you can do wonders for customer service.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 04:06 PM

I think the key is escalating the level of asshole being displayed in proportion to the level of stubbornness/denial you are receiving.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 04:16 PM

Two things will improve your service when eating at a restaurant at a table with more than 4 people at it:

1. Smile and make eye contact with the server.
2. Try to help them out when they're taking orders, passing out drinks/food. There's nothing worse for a server than having to say, "Chicken parmesan? Chicken Parmesan? ...and then 30 seconds later, someone who's been laughing it up in the loud corner of the table says, "Oh, I had the chicken parmesan!"

I've been embarrassed by large, rude groups so many times.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 04:17 PM

Assholes always get the girls though. It would seem.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 04:20 PM

Sometimes you have to be an ass.

I contacted Apple numerous times about an exchange of a faulty iMac, and was given the bums rush.
It took me 3 weeks to get an iMac I paid for that was sitting on my Visa collecting interest. Which I might add I paid for express shipping.
I had to talk to 4 or 5 people before I finally got anywhere with them, then had to talk my way into a "deal" because of my hassles. If I didn't get bitchy or upset I wouldn't have gotten a damn thing for my troubles. Now I have to send a 2nd iMac back because it's got a faulty part. This time I want my money back. It's ridiculous that I have $2600 on my Visa for something I can't even use.

We'll see if they step back on their prior "deal" (fix my out of warranty iMac for free) because I no longer want to deal with exchange phone tag and faulty iMacs.

I've never been a real ass to any of them, but sometimes it pays off to be a little more than irritated with them, especially if they're giving you the run-around.

You're the customer, don't settle for anything less than perfect - because the retailer wouldn't either.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Assholes always get the girls though. It would seem.
Girls? yes, but I prefer women anyway.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Girls? yes, but I prefer women anyway.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but they're genetically proven to be the exact same thing.

As for "The customer is always right": I think there is a valuable kernel of truth in there. Before you assume somebody else is the asshole and he needs to change, it's useful first to look at yourself and see what you're contributing to the problem. That doesn't mean sit back and take abuse forever, but often there's something you can do either this time or in the future that will lead to a better outcome without requiring other people to change (because realistically that ain't gonna happen). It would be better phrased but less punchy as "Give the customer the benefit of the doubt."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tiresias
Jun 11, 2008, 04:47 PM

... as I browsed through the newspaper and licked cream cheese from my fingers.
Gross.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 04:50 PM

When I'm dealing with bad customer care I find it much more useful to remain purposely calm and to try to talk slower than normal.

It's also worth remembering that it is in peoples nature to be defensive and thus combabtitive when they see "their" position as being under attack. I usually try to work things around to "what do I need to do to enable you to do your job well and help me. It's quite basic psychology but it seems to work.

One time I had a real cold bitch of a senior customer "care" manager when trying to get a refund on an online airline ticket that their system double booked. We started of poles apart but in the end she was acting as my advocate in our joint attempt to overturn company protocol in the matter. I ended up with my money and she even congratulated me on managing the situation and could not believe she had ended up on my side.

Remember both sides are human.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 05:27 PM

Well, here's a story that still baffles me after all these years.

I used to work at an art/framing store in the mall. 7 years prior, the gallery changed its name.

Some guy comes in with a framed print that had flood damage. He pops it on the table and DEMANDS to have the entire thing replaced. For free.

What. The. F?

He even had his receipt dated 1982, this was 1991. Nine years later.

I told him that it's been NINE YEARS, the company changed its name seven years ago, and there's nothing we can do against flood damage and he'd have to go through his insurance company. He went ballistic, screaming and yelling at us, but what can we do? It's nine years old and has flood damage.

So he walks out of the store yelling "everyone hold on to your wallets. They rip you off here".

The customer is NOT always right.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Sometimes you have to be an ass....You're the customer, don't settle for anything less than perfect - because the retailer wouldn't either.
You sound more like you were persistent, and didn't bother hiding your impatience, rather than being an ass. Being a persistently squeaky wheel is very useful, and the other person/party's attitude should drive how friendly you are. In general, if I don't get satisfaction at the first level I'm dealing with, I just move up to the next, and if needed, the next, until I get satisfaction. And I stay polite, with a helpful (if frustrated) attitude throughout. "Mr. Manager, your people seem to be having a problem with..." They usually take this and run with it.

I was at a restaurant a while ago, and when the wait brought my order it was incorrect. When I pointed this out, she checked both the kitchen ticket and her notes and she had asked for the right thing. So when the manager stopped by, I mentioned that the kitchen wasn't being as cooperative with our (fairly new) wait as they should (in those terms). He got my order corrected and comp'd it, and probably avoided 10 more "my service was lousy" complaints in the process.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You sound more like you were persistent, and didn't bother hiding your impatience, rather than being an ass. Being a persistently squeaky wheel is very useful, and the other person/party's attitude should drive how friendly you are. In general, if I don't get satisfaction at the first level I'm dealing with, I just move up to the next, and if needed, the next, until I get satisfaction. And I stay polite, with a helpful (if frustrated) attitude throughout. "Mr. Manager, your people seem to be having a problem with..." They usually take this and run with it.

I was at a restaurant a while ago, and when the wait brought my order it was incorrect. When I pointed this out, she checked both the kitchen ticket and her notes and she had asked for the right thing. So when the manager stopped by, I mentioned that the kitchen wasn't being as cooperative with our (fairly new) wait as they should (in those terms). He got my order corrected and comp'd it, and probably avoided 10 more "my service was lousy" complaints in the process.
You're right. I wasn't rude with them, but I recall my saying "I'm getting very irritated here" about 10 times.
In the end I got what I felt should have happened - Apple fixing a faulty product.

BTW - The issue was one many are having, corrupted graphics and system freezes. So I urge anyone with these problems to be persistent and ask for a free repair. I fully believe they are aware of this issue now which is why they are issuing repairs long out of warranty for multiple people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules