Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Strange behavior from new MB power adapter

Strange behavior from new MB power adapter
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 12:59 PM

Sometimes when I unplug the magnet from my computer, but leave the adapter plugged into the wall/surge protector, the orange or green light on the magnet stays on for an undetermined amount of time (more than a few seconds; at least a few minutes, if not hours).

I'm not worried about it, but it is strange. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas on what could be causing it?

BTW.. I had to return my first MB because it ceased to charge the battery and Apple insisted that I swap it out for a new one. Any speculation on whether the power systems on these new suckers going to be a common problem?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 07:20 PM

there's still power flowing through it and it didn't turn the light off. doesnt' sound serious. just unplug it all the way.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 07:59 PM

sounds serious to me, namely there's still power flowing to the end of the plug. take it to one of the apple stores around you, see what they say.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 3, 2008, 11:00 PM

There is power IN THE BRICK. But since the MagSafe isn't connected, that end doesn't turn on. Note that there are four contacts-two are for DC and the other two are for "am I plugged in?" No biggie.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There is power IN THE BRICK. But since the MagSafe isn't connected, that end doesn't turn on. Note that there are four contacts-two are for DC and the other two are for "am I plugged in?" No biggie.
You mean 5 contacts.

I appreciate that there is still "power" ac-dc converter. Nonetheless, the light is designed to only be on when it the thing is plugged into in the computer, right?

Taking it to Apple store... *sigh* Time to make an appointment, wait two days, pack up my computer, drive over there, wait in line, hope they don't recognize me, wait in line longer, try to show them what happens, of course it doesn't happen, try to convince them I'm not lying, explain to them that it is not convenient to leave my computer there for 4 days...
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2008, 06:03 PM

Yeah, 5 contacts. It sounds like your brick is just taking a while to detect that it's been unplugged. That may or may not be a problem, depending on what you do with the magnet end after you unplug it. And by "power in the brick" I mean that once the adapter detects that it's not plugged in, it supposedly turns off the AC/DC converter, so the magnet end no longer has power going to it because the brick is no longer producing the DC for the computer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 09:59 PM

It is abnormal behavior for the light to stay on. Whether it's dangerous, who knows? Most likely they'll just replace the adapter. And I totally understand about intermittent problems refusing to stand up and perform when faced with eagle-eyed Apple Geniuses...

Why not try calling the 800-number and having them send out a power adapter contingent upon your returning the offending adapter when you receive the replacement? They'll put a hold on a credit card, but when you return the old adapter in a timely fashion, no problem?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2008, 04:22 AM

If the light stays on for a short while that's nothing special. These switching transformers contain capacitors that take a short while to discharge. During that time the light could stay on.

But if you see this light on for several minutes that indicates something's wrong. Is there any gunk in the MagSafe plug? Any discoloration? Is the plug getting hot? Have you damaged the cable between the MagSafe plug and the adapter? I'd see if you can get a replacement under warranty. At least keep an eye on it?

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Why not try calling the 800-number and having them send out a power adapter contingent upon your returning the offending adapter when you receive the replacement? They'll put a hold on a credit card, but when you return the old adapter in a timely fashion, no problem?
Yeah, I've had to do this a few times in the past. (Yoyo anyone?) It'll happen the beginning of next week. Been busy lately (hence absence from forums). Thanks, all, for the input.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2008, 07:44 PM

This just in: New updates for the new MB/MBP, and one of them, the SMC updater, "improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light."

Fire up Software Update and see what happens. Beats going to see a Genius or 800-number rigamarole.

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2008, 02:34 PM

This just in: New updates for the new MB/MBP, and one of them, the SMC updater, "improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light."
Since updating, the problem hasn't repeated itself. Of course, it wasn't consistently happening to begin with. I'll sit tight for a few weeks now and see what happens before calling Apple.
Fire up Software Update and see what happens. Beats going to see a Genius or 800-number rigamarole.
The EFI was in my Software update, but the SMC was not. I just asked in another thread why that's the case..
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules