Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Target iPad promotion a scam!

Target iPad promotion a scam!
Basharar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2013, 02:34 AM

So I tried to order from target online, it says the pad mini is 329$ plus a 40$ gift card... I clicked on add to cart hoping that I will get a 40$ gift card..... Get this, the price is changed to 369$ +40$ gift card discount, so it's 329$ the same official price at the apple store, thank you target for insulting my intelligence....

andi*pandi
Jul 9, 2013, 10:34 AM

what a ripoff! I wonder if it would be the same problem in a brick and mortar store.

azrich
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2013, 02:31 PM

The way it is working (my understanding) is that for the price of the iPad alone you will receive the iPad and a gift card.

The gift card is not used on that purchase. If you read the explanation by clicking on the gift card link you'll see what I mean. It's not the best written explanation but it's there.

Again, for the price of the iPad, you get the iPad AND a gift card to use later. Not a rip-off, just not the way you wanted it to work.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 9, 2013, 03:48 PM

Local store checked- seemed fine there with Apple MSRPs, then a gift card after purchase.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Basharar View Post
So I tried to order from target online, it says the pad mini is 329$ plus a 40$ gift card... I clicked on add to cart hoping that I will get a 40$ gift card..... Get this, the price is changed to 369$ +40$ gift card discount, so it's 329$ the same official price at the apple store, thank you target for insulting my intelligence....
Try going to Best Buy, showing them the ad, and asking them to match the offer. My father did this, and they matched it, including a Best Buy gift card.

Basharar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2013, 07:19 PM

Here is what i got, after checking the 329$ listed price on the first page!

Order Summary (2 items)
Subtotal: $369.99
Discounts:-$40.00
$40 gift card with select iPad mini tablets
shipping: More information about estimated shipping not yet calculated
Estimated Tax: More information about estimated tax not yet calculated
your price $329.99
You Save: More information about promotion discounts $40.00 (11% )

azrich
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2013, 07:25 PM

Exactly, the iPad + a $40 card would be $369, but you will get both for $329. Which is the price of the iPad alone.

The way they do it is stupid, they should just list it like this-

iPad $329
$40 Gift card $40
Discount -$40

Total $329.

Basharar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2013, 08:04 PM

ouch Now i feel dumb and stupid?!

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2013, 09:19 PM

Ok. So they offer a 40 dollar gift card that you can use towards a future purchase if you buy an iPad.

What is the problem here? A misunderstanding of the offer?

Simply offering 40 bucks off the iPad would be of no benefit to Target. They are looking to offer an incentive for you to make future purchases at a discount expecting that you will spend much more than 40 dollars next time.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Simply offering 40 bucks off the iPad would be of no benefit to Target. They are looking to offer an incentive for you to make future purchases at a discount expecting that you will spend much more than 40 dollars next time.
Not to mention that they can't do that without explicit authorization from Apple - which I don't think has ever happened. Places that offer discounts on Apple products (Fry's, Micro Center, Best Buy, etc.) generally work around Apple's fixed prices by offering gift cards, bundles (e.g. $329 for the iPad plus a free $50 case), etc.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules