Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Virtual PC - XP can't connect to the internet.

Virtual PC - XP can't connect to the internet.
wlo
Jan 27, 2008, 09:16 PM

I am a neurologist with a need to access data from several of the hospitals I use. For the most part, access to the proprietary data bases, even over the internet, is only through PC (Windows). I don't have an intel chip so to get to pc I need to emulate. I have Virtual PC installed on my OS9.2.2 partition. After I install Windows XP I cannot update the program! Since I have to go out on the internet, I need to protect the partition with Windows security updates etc.. Anybody know how to get Windows to update in Virtual PC? and the best protection against virus, etc. attacks while using the web? Any help appreciated.

Cold Warrior
Jan 27, 2008, 09:25 PM

Honestly, Virtual PC is unusable. Sure, it'll install ok, but beyond that, it's not going to run any application at a usable speed (unless it's Solitaire). Even Internet Explorer was always a nightmare when I was using Virtual PC in just Windows 2000. Assuming you got it updated and installed antivirus and a firewall, those two would slow it down even more.

My recommendation is that you upgrade to a MacBook Pro or MacBook and run Windows through Boot Camp, Parallels, and/or VMWare Fusion. You'll actually be able to get work done.

wlo  (op)
Jan 31, 2008, 11:24 PM

I assume from the absence of further response that Virtual PC is panned. There was a second query: best source for antivirus, etc. in PC. Or do I just use Windows update? Or do I need to go to some PC forum for this information?

Cold Warrior
Jan 31, 2008, 11:34 PM

[1] antivirus: norton av or mcafee would be fine.
[2] etc.: zone alarm (the free one) is good for firewall (incoming and outgoing).

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2008, 10:43 AM

ClamAV for Windows gets good comments too.

VirtualPC isn't just panned, it's the butt of jokes. Other virtualization software calls it names to its face. Seriously, the whole VirtualPC package is way behind the curve. It's written for the PowerPC processor, aod if you're running it on an Intel Mac you have relatively slow software running through a translation layer, making it much slower. If you're running it on a PPC Mac, you can see a huge increase in performance in everything by buying a newer (doesn't even have to be "new") Intel-based Mac. Or you could get a used PC laptop to run your necessary Windows programs. Literally anything is better than depending on VirtualPC.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 01:49 PM

My recommendation is to get yourself an intel Macintosh. Even if you're not ready to move over to OSX yet, pick up a an iMac or a mini and you can run windows decently and even the mini will be a big speed improvement then your current computer

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2008, 01:50 PM

Considering the way Norton seems to slow down PCs, you don't want to install it on Virtual PC running on a PPC.

Try AVG.

These days, Virtual PC is dead, even Microsoft have released it for free for Windows.

ibook_steve
Feb 1, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
ClamAV for Windows gets good comments too.

VirtualPC isn't just panned, it's the butt of jokes. Other virtualization software calls it names to its face. Seriously, the whole VirtualPC package is way behind the curve. It's written for the PowerPC processor, aod if you're running it on an Intel Mac you have relatively slow software running through a translation layer, making it much slower. If you're running it on a PPC Mac, you can see a huge increase in performance in everything by buying a newer (doesn't even have to be "new") Intel-based Mac. Or you could get a used PC laptop to run your necessary Windows programs. Literally anything is better than depending on VirtualPC.
I'm pretty sure VPC wouldn't even run in Rosetta on an Intel Mac. Microsoft bought it and killed it, just like they do everything else.

Maybe if you tell us what kind of databases you're trying to access and how you access them, then there might be a Mac solution without having to resort to Windows (even though with 9.2.2, you are even more limited in what you can do).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Yokohama
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2008, 08:35 PM

I too have Virtual PC but no longer use it for some of the reasons noted in this thread. I don't want to spend again on a separate Windows OS, so can I use the OS included in Virtual PC with any of the software that allows the Mac to run Windows? I have a PPC iMac.

ibook_steve
Feb 1, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yokohama View Post
I too have Virtual PC but no longer use it for some of the reasons noted in this thread. I don't want to spend again on a separate Windows OS, so can I use the OS included in Virtual PC with any of the software that allows the Mac to run Windows? I have a PPC iMac.
Well, first you need an Intel machine, because none of the current virtualization software runs on PPC.

After that, I believe that Parallels Transporter can transfer a VPC drive image to Parallels.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules