Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod classic slight rattle

ipod classic slight rattle
Jottle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2010, 04:44 PM

I've done a search about this issue (and that it may be normal according to this thread: click here), but I wanted to hear if others notice this issue as well. I have a new 120gb ipod classic, and when I shift its orientation (say from front side up to upside down) there's a slight "click" or "tick" sound coming from inside. Some would say it's a rattle as it sounds like something is loose inside the ipod. From searching here and macforums, as well as this apple kb article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...tnum=60969#top this may be normal.

It's a pretty quiet sound, and it happens even if I gently turn the ipod over. I'm guessing it's just a loose the hard drive as I've made sure it isn't the hold switch. The funny thing is that even when the hard drive spins up, I can still make the sound happen if I shift the ipod's orientation. I wouldn't think there's a loose part in the hard drive while it's spinning, but I can't think of any other internal parts that could shift around. So I'm wondering if anyone else has this noise in their ipod classic?

ibook_steve
Feb 1, 2010, 10:00 PM

The link you posted doesn't work.

I don't have a classic, but hard drive-based iPods lock the drive when there is extreme movement to minimize damage in the case of a fall. Maybe you're hearing that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Jottle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2010, 01:05 AM

Sorry. this is the apple kb link: iPod: May Make Noise When Shaken

Forum Links
Forum Rules