Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > "Starting Mac OS X..." boot up is hanging.

"Starting Mac OS X..." boot up is hanging.
Bushpk9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 11:12 PM

It started when everytime I loaded up safari and tried to open a page and safari would just quit unexpectedly, with no "reopen" "close" or "report" option it would just close. I also noticed the finder repedidly reloading. It also wouldn't let me shut down so I turned it off manually. When attempting to re-boot it would load the blue progress bar and would be at the end and just sit there, I let it sit there all night and nothing happend. I ran a hardware test and came up with a memory error in J12, switched to just the stock ram, with the same results, then ran it again with the memory in different positions and came up with J14 as the error. Would clean install but have many pictures in iphoto to yet to be backed up.

Thanks

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 12:31 AM

What kind of computer is it? What are the specs on the RAM (manufacturer, size, etc)? What version of OS X are you running?

Bushpk9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 12:36 AM

DP PowerMac G5 2.0ghz
2.5gb ram
160gb hdd
128mb 9600

kick52
Baninated
Aug 5, 2006, 04:10 PM

it is most likely the RAM or the motherboard, you can do an archive and install, which will make a new system for you and keep the old system (but you cant boot to the old one) and you can set it so it will keep your users. (which should contain your pictures, if they are inside your home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules