Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > rebooting into OS 9 from OS X retarded question...help!

rebooting into OS 9 from OS X retarded question...help!
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 01:22 PM

I'm staying over in Boston right now at a friend's place.

Friend has a roommate that owns a Ti PB (from her graphic design company), it runs in OS 9...

I discovered that OS X was also installed, and I actually needed OS X to run DVD backup. So I switched the startup folder from the OS 9 one to the OS X startup folder.

Unfortunately, I discovered that when I tried to switch it back,
I couldn't switch back to 9 b/c I now need an admin password!

Is there any keystroke combo I can hold down during startup that will automatically boot me back to 9 so I can adjust the startup settings there? I'm trying to avoid getting into trouble b/c naturally, I want to return things back to the way they were without having to have this roommate ask her supervisor...*sigh*

Please advise ASAP. I did try holding down the option key during a restart, and then try to pick the OS on the screen that shows up, but OS X seems to be the only option, OS 9 doesn't even show up.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 01:54 PM

if you have an os install cd you can change it from booting off of that.

the option key only works if the operating systems are on different partitions. also, you don't need to change the startup disk to boot into os x - just hold the x key and you would have been okay
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Chris Grande
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 02:00 PM

Since they are on the same partition you can try booting into 9 by holding down the 9 when you turn on the computer, just like you would hold down the option key.

Forum Links
Forum Rules