Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Disabling Mail accounts and keeping the e-mail...

Disabling Mail accounts and keeping the e-mail...
Omer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 10:19 PM

Hello --
One of my e-mail accounts was recently closed down. Attempting to disable the account (via Preferences->accounts->advanced tab (of the account)) causes all of the e-mail messages kept in "Sent Mail" to be inaccessible: The folder disappears, and when trying to access a reply to some e-mail sent via that account - an error message is shown.
What am I doing wrong - what should I do in order for my e-mail do remain accessible, while the account is disabled?

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 10:26 PM

Move all those messages to another folder in Mail. Create a new folder called "Old emails" or something and select all of the messages and drag them to the the new folder. Then you should be able to delete without the messages going, too.

Omer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 06:42 PM

That sounds like very bad UI design - is there truly no other option?

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 06:44 PM

Why is that so hard? You click on one message in the mailbox, press Command A, and drag them to another folder. It will take 20 seconds at most.

It's no bad UI design at all. Usually, when you disable an account, you don't need the emails anymore, either.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2007, 06:56 PM

Can't you just uncheck the "Include when automatically checking for mail" checkbox?

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 06:58 PM

I'm under the impression that he wants the mailbox gone, but the messages intact. If not, then that would work.

Omer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 05:09 PM

Actually, I'd use the option of unchecking "Include when automatically checking for mail", if Mail wouldn't, despite it, check it and inform me the mail doesn't exist (only at start-up, but it's still annoying).
It's a bad UI because when the user disables his account he doesn't wish messages to disappear. Unlike incoming messages, which are usually transfered to mail folders, sent mail, in my experience, tends to stay where it is. Therefor, the user doesn't expect some of his e-mails to disappear just because he disabled an account.
Since there is indeed no other option - I'll do as you proposed. Thanks.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Omer View Post
Hello --
One of my e-mail accounts was recently closed down. Attempting to disable the account (via Preferences->accounts->advanced tab (of the account)) causes all of the e-mail messages kept in "Sent Mail" to be inaccessible: The folder disappears, and when trying to access a reply to some e-mail sent via that account - an error message is shown.
What am I doing wrong - what should I do in order for my e-mail do remain accessible, while the account is disabled?
You need to move the folder to a local folder. "On my Mac" is a good start.

Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 09:29 PM

That's the same thing I meant, in case my complicated way of saying it confused you, Omer.

Omer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 07:52 AM

Yes, I got it :-)
The thing is - my Sent Mail folder is on my mac (and all the messages are saved on its HD). I wanted all my sent mail to be in the same place (under "Sent Mail"...). As I can't create additional folders under "Sent Mail", this means I need to either seperate my sent mail folder (one for the current accounts and one for those I no longer have), or not to disable accounts. I don't like these options, but those are the ones I have...

Forum Links
Forum Rules