Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > About to get old G3 PowerBook. What OS? Wireless?

About to get old G3 PowerBook. What OS? Wireless?
mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 06:06 PM

I'm about to acquire an old G3 PowerBook for free...it'll be used primarily to write papers outside of my dorm room. It's a G3/266 with only 32MB of RAM. What's the best OS to use? My guess would be 8.5 or 8.6 if I wanna go the Mac OS route, but might there be a Linux distro that'd run better or at least run comparably and have more modern features?

Also, I doubt there's any cost-effective way to get wireless ethernet in there...but is there?

Haha, thanks!
Be happy.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 07:05 PM

With 32 megs of ram you can't go OS X. I learned to hate System 8 of any flavor, so I would go System 9.1. The G3 PowerBook wants an original AirPort card, no longer sold commercially. But available for short money on eBay.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 07:26 PM

With that machine, you'd be better off selling it and getting something a little better.

Once you upgrade the RAM, hard drive and networking options to something bearable (for OS X) you'd have spent almost enough as buying an upgraded Pismo or even an old TiBook.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 04:37 PM

802.11b PC card...$19
256 RAM...$33

thanks for the help

It's a "Wallstreet," pre-Airport.

(I have no intention of attempting OS X here; that's for the Mac Pro! Who needs it to type a paper/check email?)
Be happy.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mac freak
It's a "Wallstreet," pre-Airport.
I own a Wall Street that my dad still uses. It was a very competent box but the problem now is finding a still-supported browser that will run under the limited RAM and OS. Search Apple's Knowledge Base to find the latest possible OS and then look for a browser that will work with that OS/RAM.

One of the reasons that I am adamant about pro laptops rather than consumer grade like the MBs is the PC card slot(s). E.g. the Wall Street's PC card connectivity has facilitated all kinds of things (USB, modems, etc.) that have more than doubled its useful life.

-Allen Wicks

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by mac freak
I'm about to acquire an old G3 PowerBook for free...it'll be used primarily to write papers outside of my dorm room. It's a G3/266 with only 32MB of RAM. What's the best OS to use? My guess would be 8.5 or 8.6 if I wanna go the Mac OS route, but might there be a Linux distro that'd run better or at least run comparably and have more modern features?

Also, I doubt there's any cost-effective way to get wireless ethernet in there...but is there?

Haha, thanks!
i agree with sherman. os 9.1. maybe appleworks. mozilla 1.3.1 is still a useful browser. mike's thumbnailer (free) for slideshows. a g3 isn't too hot to sit in your lap and for free you won't have to baby it. definately a good choice for your uses.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2006, 08:09 PM

For wireless connectivity, wouldn't you definitely need to have OS 9.x - I don't think 8.x had wireless capabilities? I could be wrong though. Btw, for OS 9 you will need at least 64MB RAM.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2006, 08:13 PM

FWIW, iCab is also available for OS8.5 to OS 9.x and is still being developed too. Not the most CSS compatible but very feature laden. Mozilla tended to be very unstable in OS 9 in my experience but it would be a good backup/first choice.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 10:15 PM

Thanks all!
Yeah, I found that the RAM upgrade was cheap so I'm going for 9.2.
And iCab! I remember that one.
Be happy.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2006, 06:28 AM

Explorer 5.1.x or Netscape 6.x are the only browsers I'd recommend for OS 9. I find that iCab mis-renders a lot of pages. Try getting a Lucent WaveLAN Silver as it's detected as an AirPort comaptible card by OS 9 and costs next to nothing on eBay.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 01:39 PM

Opera is another good browser.
And the Lucent/WaveLAN/Orinoco cards required 8.6 IIRC.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 02:17 PM

just beware of sticking too much money into it.

For reference, OWC recently offered a 12" 500 mhz G3 ibook with 320 MB RAM, 10 GB HD and CD-rom for $199 (60-day warranty.) Didn't have an airport card, but they cost $60 at OWC as an option. So, don't stick more than $100 into the Wallstreet, because something like the 12" iBook off ebay or craigslist would be a better option.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
just beware of sticking too much money into it. ... don't stick more than $100 into the Wallstreet, because something like the 12" iBook off ebay or craigslist would be a better option.
I agree. Also, not that it matters to me, but FYI my maxxed out WallStreet is the hottest PB I have owned, hotter than TiBooks, AlBooks and the MacIntels.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules