Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Wake a remote Mac?

Wake a remote Mac?
kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2006, 09:24 AM

Is there any way to wake a remote mac from sleep? I've looked into several of the WakeOnLAN-type programs, but it seems they only work on a local network as the name would imply.

I want to be able to connect to my work computer periodically, but since I only do it a few times per week I am reluctant to leave it on all the time.

kman

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 01:10 PM

I don't think it's possible. IIRC, Wake On LAN is designed pretty specifically so that you have to be on the same subnet for it to work - otherwise, it would probably be a security issue. I think your best bet would be to have a server running on your subnet which you could SSH into and send the WakeOnLAN packet from there.

edit: on second thought, there is one thing you could do. You could plug your modem into a telephone line, and then in Energy Saver, you could set it to automatically wake when the modem detects a ring. Then, you could just call your home land phone from your cell whenever you wanted to wake your Mac. Of course, this assumes you actually have a home land-line (you probably do if you have DSL).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
Is there any way to wake a remote mac from sleep? I've looked into several of the WakeOnLAN-type programs, but it seems they only work on a local network as the name would imply.
I actually talked with someone from Apple about this, and they suggest having one machine on the same subnet as the machine you want to wake that never sleeps. SSH into the always awake machine, and then use it to wake up the machine you want to wake. This is useful in a lab situation. Let all the machines sleep except for one, and then use that one to wake the rest up.

Of course, this isn't so helpful if you're trying to ssh into a home machine for something.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

hemant
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 03:03 PM

If you set up port forwarding and forward the right ports (don't remember which one's) in your router, there are applications and web sites (broadband help � Wake Me Up) that let you type in the ip address / mac address of the machine to wake up the machine. If you do not use a router just make sure your firwall is configured to allow these ports.

XXV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 10:21 AM

As I just mentioned in another thread, you can use Wake on LAN even remotely. I forwarded UDP port 9 on my firewall/router to my Mini and was able wake it up from afar (using a remote Linux box and the "wakeonlan" program). You can encapsulate the wake-on-LAN bit in any packet - you just need to know the computer's MAC address.

That said, I wasn't able to wake it yesterday using the same script I wrote that worked the day before. I'm going to blame my router (maybe it thought that it couldn't send a packet to a sleeping computer?), but it seems as though technically it should work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules