Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > long boot up time on my new PB17

long boot up time on my new PB17
Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 11:40 PM

I noticed today, a couple days after i got my new PB17, that my boot up time seems to be longer... atleast i've just noticed it takes a bit longer.. it seems to spend a long time on the verifying network connections or something.. it seems like a long time, longer than usual..

does anyone know why this might be, and how solve it?

i am on a wireless internet connection, if that is of any help..
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 12:14 AM

Congrats on the 17". I love my yaobook!

Take advantage of OS X. Don't turn your PB off. Just close the lid when you are done and put it to sleep.

OS X boots slow. It is meant to be on. Lifting the lid and having instant on is a thing to enjoy.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Jacket:
I noticed today, a couple days after i got my new PB17, that my boot up time seems to be longer... atleast i've just noticed it takes a bit longer.. it seems to spend a long time on the verifying network connections or something.. it seems like a long time, longer than usual..

Its probaly the big screen slowing it down.

Seriously, make sure you have filesharing and another stuff you dont need disabled in the system preferences.

Jacket  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Congrats on the 17". I love my yaobook!

Take advantage of OS X. Don't turn your PB off. Just close the lid when you are done and put it to sleep.

OS X boots slow. It is meant to be on. Lifting the lid and having instant on is a thing to enjoy.
is this safe for the machine?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 01:08 AM

"sleep" does not harm the machine at all....

the other thing you may want to look for is in your home/library/recent servers folder. if you were connecting before to something that is no longer there it can slow your boot time at the network portion of the startup
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Jacket  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:

"sleep" does not harm the machine at all....

the other thing you may want to look for is in your home/library/recent servers folder. if you were connecting before to something that is no longer there it can slow your boot time at the network portion of the startup
i would think it be better for the machine to be off than to be in a prolonged sleep... you sure?

i deleted the file in the directory you mentioned and that worked. thanks for your help.

cms
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 05:11 AM

it seems to spend a long time on the verifying network connections or something.. it seems like a long time, longer than usual..

Under your network preferences pane, click on Show, then select Network Port Configurations.

Airport will show as On. Select it and drag it to the top of the Port Configurations list. Arrange other ports in the order that you use them. Save changes when prompted.

Each time you start up your system, it looks for and tries to verify in turn all possible network connections that you have elected to have switched on. If you follow the above suggestion, it will now verify your Airport configuration first, which is the one that is active for you. Your boot time will be quicker as it isn't now busy searching for ports which aren't actually active. You can also turn off any ports that you don't use, to save even more time.

Hope this helps.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 07:38 AM

Sleep is perfectly fine for the laptop all it does is stop the cpu, hdd, ports and stuff and the ram is supplied with the few milliamps it needs to keep data in it.

I sleep my powerbook all the time, open it up it's ready to go, close it up it goes to sleep.

Shutdown probably causes more wear and tear on the hard disk and stuff in the long term.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

sandsl
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 08:22 AM

Sleep is perfectly safe for you machine, even for long periods.
Luke

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 08:38 AM

I haven't turned my iBook off for four weeks at least.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

djjava
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 09:24 AM

Just how much electricity does the powerbook use while in sleep mode? Since I've moved out of my parents' house and must pay for my own electricity, I am more conscious about these things. If some one can sufficiently convince me that it's worth the couple extra cents (dollars?) a month to leave it on for seemingly most of the day, then I will trust your judgement.

Today or Tomorrow.... it's coming!
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 09:37 AM

From

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...section_8.html

When operating on the battery in sleep mode, the computer consumes less than 1 watt of power, meeting the Energy Star power-saving standard. When operating on the power adapter in sleep mode, the combined computer and adapter consume 3 to 4 watts of power.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by djjava:
Just how much electricity does the powerbook use while in sleep mode? Since I've moved out of my parents' house and must pay for my own electricity, I am more conscious about these things. If some one can sufficiently convince me that it's worth the couple extra cents (dollars?) a month to leave it on for seemingly most of the day, then I will trust your judgement.

Today or Tomorrow.... it's coming!
Having a +3000 US$ laptop but worry about electricity costs of some Watts???

cms
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 12:36 PM

it seems to spend a long time on the verifying network connections or something.. it seems like a long time, longer than usual..

Under your network preferences pane, click on Show, then select Network Port Configurations.

Airport will show as On. Select it and drag it to the top of the Port Configurations list. Arrange other ports in the order that you use them. Save changes when prompted.

Each time you start up your system, it looks for and tries to verify in turn all possible network connections that you have elected to have switched on. If you follow the above suggestion, it will now verify your Airport configuration first, which is the one that is active for you. Your boot time will be quicker as it isn't now busy searching for ports which aren't actually active. You can also turn off any ports that you don't use, to save even more time.

Hope this helps.

cms
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 12:39 PM

I have no idea why my earlier post has reappeared. Apologies for the double-post. I think I was flipping back through Explorer and must have managed to resend the post from ealier today.

Oops!

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
I haven't turned my iBook off for four weeks at least.
Heh. I've had my 2001 iBook since the 500 mhz models were new, and I'll get it's only been turned off a few times since I bought it. I just sleep it. The only problem I've had with it is that the battery died about a year in my ownership of it.

Cheers

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 07:08 PM

Yes, once you start using sleep (closeing lid) you will find it is so neat being able to pull it out, pop it open wait half a sec and start working .

-Owl

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Yes, once you start using sleep (closeing lid) you will find it is so neat being able to pull it out, pop it open wait half a sec and start working .

-Owl
Yes, once you start using sleep (closeing lid) you will find it is so neat being able to pull it out, pop it half open and have a quick look how beautiful OS X is, how fast it runs, and then close it again. Just for the beauty of it

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2003, 08:29 PM

I turn off my Powerbook every night, just like I turn the lights and heating off.

I'm not some envrionmental activist, but these small amounts of electricity add up. I think it's pretty shameless encouraging people to leave their appliances on for no reason whatsoever. Can't you wait a minute for your machine to boot up?

Uptime or being able to return 18 hours later and say "oh, look at my brilliant Apple Mac - it wakes up in 1 second" is a pathetic excuse.

Only servers need to be left on 24 hours a day. No wonder the west is fscking up the planet so quickly.

Chris

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 09:58 PM

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Maybe I put it too strongly, but I think I have a point.

But if that's all you have to say, then up yours..

Chris

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
Maybe I put it too strongly, but I think I have a point.

But if that's all you have to say, then up yours..

Chris
No need to be so harsh. Some people might have a good reason to leave their computer on and sleeping. Its not just to save bootup time, but having programs already running with documents open allows you to just sit down and get working. You just made it sound like leaving the washing machine on with no cloths in it. In all fairness I meant to add the "" after the rolling eyes.
( Last edited by Chris Grande; Mar 25, 2003 at 11:27 PM. )

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2003, 02:57 AM

I turn off my Powerbook every night, just like I turn the lights and heating off.

I'm not some envrionmental activist, but these small amounts of electricity add up. I think it's pretty shameless encouraging people to leave their appliances on for no reason whatsoever. Can't you wait a minute for your machine to boot up?

Uptime or being able to return 18 hours later and say "oh, look at my brilliant Apple Mac - it wakes up in 1 second" is a pathetic excuse.

Only servers need to be left on 24 hours a day. No wonder the west is fscking up the planet so quickly.

Chris
Here's an idea... put it to sleep, then unplug it. You'll sleep like a baby, just like your powebook.

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 03:19 AM

Shameless? Hardly.

(1) 3 Watts is next to nothing - as somebody else said, the power consumption/wear and tear on your hard drive of starting up daily might far outweigh the power savings of leaving it on overnight.

(2) It's actually a good idea to leave you PB on(!) not asleep, overnight once in a while because that's when OS X does some housecleaning - if the computer is off, this housecleaning doesn't happen (there are utilities you can download to do it on command, but that's a pain too)

(3) Aside from these built-in tasks, leaving a computer on, allows you to to use other applications you might not use otherwise: build that large app, render that huge effect, share those illegally obtained copyrighted files, find that alien intelligence (SETI), or just use good ol' Backup.app.

So shameless? hardly. The original poster asked if it was harmful for his mac to let it sleep. The correct answer is "absolutely not, it's probably better than turning it off/on every day."
cpac

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 09:00 AM

Electrical devices generally go bad when turning them on, like a light bulb, with the initial surge of current. I haven't turned off my dual 867 since I bought it last August and my cube here at work has been running for two years. Clebin, you need to get some sleep or something.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
No need to be so harsh. Some people might have a good reason to leave their computer on and sleeping. Its not just to save bootup time, but having programs already running with documents open allows you to just sit down and get working. You just made it sound like leaving the washing machine on with no cloths in it. In all fairness I meant to add the "" after the rolling eyes.
Sorry... gratuitous use of that rolleyes smiley really annoys me! The would've helped!

But if anyone thinks they're doing the world a favour by leaving their computer on for 2 years, they're either plain wrong or they've never spent more than about 8-10 hours away from their computer in that time ...which is a bit worrying!

I'm sure your hard-drive has nothing to fear from a 30 second boot up and most will last quite happily until they're gathering dust in the garage. And OS X house-cleaning? Do you honestly care about that?

Whenever the issue of uptime or sleep gets raised, you get this ego thing comes out that I struggle to understand. Aren't you really trying to make these arguments to justify some inexplicable source of pride in a) your Mac's sleep function and b) your uptime? Are you making up for all the years when the MacOS crashed every other day? Frankly, nobody should be impresed by "that's nothing! Wait till you hear what my uptime is"

These sweeping statements like 'nobody needs to shut down their machines any more' are just stupid. Whatever the amount of electricity there's enough people in the world for it to make a difference and it's as much about an attitude as anything else.

Maybe I did need some sleep (and I got it, thanks) but some people need more than a little sleep away from the screen!

Chris

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 12:44 PM

One (1) Watt when sleeping, you need 100 PowerBooks to sleep to compare with a 100 Watt lamp to make it the same.

Insolation of your house, where a lot of heat goes in or out of the walls and windows (hate the word).

How much energy is a PowerBook dissipating when starting up and spin the harddisk extensively? I don't know.

We are not talking about your car, which is using more then one Watt, how many cylinders, how much power...

The list can be endless.

To make a point of 1 Watt is, imho, rediculous.
If there is really nothing better to do then wonder if you should shutdown or put to sleep your Book, because of 1 Watt, well sorry, but then you have no life.

BTW, mine is always sleeping. (TiBook)

Forum Links
Forum Rules