Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple should really have an eBook

Apple should really have an eBook
cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 08:30 AM

I have just got a new iBook 800MHz 12.1". Nice machine.

My opinion is that the 14" iBooks just don't offer much more than the 12" ones, aside from being easier on the eyes. They are sort of an updated Pismo, but less capable.

In which case, the jump from a Australian $2626 "top end" 12" iBook to Australian $4495 low end PowerBook is a pretty big one. Apple should do well to fill this gap with an eBook.

The current form factors for both the iBooks and PowerBooks are great. But the small plastic iBook is not able to handle a G4, while the PowerBooks are not the most durable, and can barely handle things like SuperDrives (1x only?). And both don't have removal storage.

I think an eBook would be an attractive machine at this stage. Forgo the ultraslim PowerBook casing, and stick a G4 in a thicker form factor. Fit a proper speed tray-loading SuperDrive. Walah -- it would satisfy the G3-avoiders, and fragile-computer-avoiders. The iBooks and PowerBooks would still appeal to a proportion of the notebook market.

The eBook might also give Apple a backdoor in terms of how to introduce a new machine to replace the PowerBook -- damn, can't have a new PowerBook form factor less sexy than the current one right?

All this assuming Apple doesn't pull out a fast but cool G5 chip from somewhere. Just a thought. Anyone agree?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 08:48 AM

I do not agree. First of all, Apple already has a kinda affordable Notebook, the LowEnd iBook for around $1000 (however around $1200 in Europe). Second, if they would introduce another G4 laptop as "eBook", who would ever even consider getting an iBook with G3 processor?
And third, they already have half a dozen available notebook setups and do not need more.

What they do need is a G4 iBook for less than $1000 with a 12" display (I love those small iBooks).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2002, 09:17 AM

I don't believe that there is actually anything about the iBook that precludes the inclusion of a G4 processor. The reason Apple doesn't include one is so that the ibooks don't compete too closely with the powerbooks (this is the same reason that they disabled monitor spanning on the ibook). It probably also serves to keep costs down a bit.

So an hyphothetical "ebook" would not fit into Apple's plans, and as was pointed out would probably cannibalize both powerbook and ibook sales -- a losing proposition in any case. The only reason the eMac itself exists is to offer a low-cost alternative to the flatscreen iMac for schools (and later, individuals). The ibooks are already low-cost.

-Q-
Dec 2, 2002, 10:37 AM

There could potentially be a heat issue with including a G4 chip in the iBook case, although I tend to agree it's more of a market positioning issue than a technical one.

But there's no need for an "eBook". I think the laptop line is pretty well stocked with enough options to meet everyone's needs.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 01:20 PM

...and the low-end iBook (or any of the iBooks) are already suited for the education market, so, again, no need for an e(ducation)Book.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 01:42 PM

A proper superdrive? Show me any other laptop that has a DVD/CD-RW Burner faster than the 1x Apple has. Right now there aren't any, because there are no laptop drives faster than 1x. It's a new technology, deal with it.

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I think the laptop line is pretty well stocked with enough options to meet everyone's needs.
Not quite.
Where's in the product line can I get a simple CD-RW burner?
Every frickin' PC manufacturer offers this as a simple upgrade to their base model.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 03:02 PM

If Apple introduced an "eBook" it would have to sit below the iBook on the notebook chain, which is pretty much already taken by the low end $999 iBook.

I think Apple already offers a wide range of notebooks. There really isn't room for another one.

And I definitely think the iBooks are remaining with the G3 is pure marketing strategy.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:

Not quite.
Where's in the product line can I get a simple CD-RW burner?
Every frickin' PC manufacturer offers this as a simple upgrade to their base model.
But why would you just want a CD-RW? I would never buy a computer without atleast a combo DVD/CD-RW drive. It wouldn't be worth the money in my opinion.

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 03:06 PM

So, can we say the G4 ibook is on the way?

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by NETTEN:
So, can we say the G4 ibook is on the way?
I would say it is on its way when the Powerbooks are about to have a G5? Maybe a little sooner?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2002, 05:31 PM

It is true that the ibook stands out as the only non-G4 in the product line. Since the G5 won't be out for at least a few months (more likely significantly longer) and it will probably take months after that for them to work it into the Powerbook, I think that the ibook will probably go G4 before that. Exactly when is anybody's guess. It wasn't so long ago that the iMacs were G3s and people were happily surprised to see a G4 and a flatpanel on the new models. Apple could surprise us.

DeathStrike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 04:03 AM

I think the jump from 12 to 14inch ibook is a big deal.

a freind has a 12 and I got a 14. Mine is much better with the longer battery life and the bigger screen. It is so conviniant having it bigger the 12inch just feels to small.

and for those of you who say you have good eyes I do aswell so I just make the dock smaller and the size of folders ect.

my 2 cents
iBook 14.1inch, 40gig, 640ram, 32meg, Airport Card
Airport Extreme Base Station

the_OM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 10:39 AM

i dont think that we'll see a G4 ibook until apple has exhausted the G3, all reports indicate that the G3 for the ibook still has a lot of juice left in it. ibm, who makes the G3 for the ibook has stated that it has 1ghz processors in production. the reason why these aren't in the current models are due to marketing purposes and differentiating the ibook line from the powerbook line.

how long does everyone else think apple will stick with the G3 in the ibook for?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2002, 12:30 PM

I have some thoughts to share on the eBook too, but I think they're going in another direction than what was mentioned here. If you're interested just check this thread.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I don't believe that there is actually anything about the iBook that precludes the inclusion of a G4 processor.
The iBook would melt into a big blob of white plastic.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2002, 10:50 PM

I really don't think so. Almost all PC notebooks are made of plastic and they got hotter than the Tibook ever did. And the G4s in the new powerbooks are much cooler by all reports.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by the_OM:

how long does everyone else think apple will stick with the G3 in the ibook for?
Until Motorola can produce .13nm G4 chips in quantity....

The iBook would melt into a big blob of white plastic.
no it wouldn't. Remember, the iBook is actually thicker than the PowerBook...which means more air cirrculation. Again, Apple is just waiting for Moto's .13nm G4's.... Or for IBM to add VMX to the G3...

---------------

I think Apple could use one more book in it's laptop lineup. Something brand new with a 13.3" or 14.1" screen. The 14.1" iBook is ugly. It's rather easy to tell that a lot of R&D didn't go into it....

Consumers are buying notebooks. With wireless networking gaining ground and notebook technology combined with notebook techology prices coming down...it's easy to see why laptop's could spark "the next big thing" for the computer industry. Apple needs to position its notebook lineup for this. And currently, there is a big gap between the 14" iBook and the bottom Tibook....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
I think Apple could use one more book in it's laptop lineup. Something brand new with a 13.3" or 14.1" screen. The 14.1" iBook is ugly. It's rather easy to tell that a lot of R&D didn't go into it...
Gumby, exactly my opinion. I started a thread some days ago to discuss ideas how such a new portable Mac could look like and to gather ideas, but I realized that many people (of those who read the thread notabene) didn't support the idea of a third portable product line and were actually quite happy the way things are now, apart from the desire to have dual 5GHz 970s in their PowerBooks/iBooks. You can find the discussion here . It would be nice if you would contribute your ideas and suggestions.
( Last edited by Simon; Dec 11, 2002 at 04:21 AM. )

OSXDamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 05:48 PM

Contrary to popular opinion, I hear there is no G5 on the way. And although it is reported that IBM, is coming out with a faster chip by 03's year end, that is not exactly true. There has been no deal struck w/Apple. Also, I'm hearing that if they went AMD, they would need software companies to invent new drivers, for OS X. The same might of also been said for the IBM chip. I can't really remember though. Basically, Apple, is being held back from Motorola, and the software companies are not in any rush to keep up with technology. Plus, this is how the market works. Capitalism @ it's worst.....
Regards,
OSXDamon

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 02:52 AM

The 64-bit IBM PPC970 chip is supposed to be 100% PowerPC compatible, including running 32-bit applications at full speed. There's no way at all that adapting OS X to the 970 would require even a tiny percentage of the work that switching to AMD or Intel would require.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules