Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > odd problem after installing 10.1

odd problem after installing 10.1
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2001, 11:19 PM

Ok here's the scoop: after installing 10.1 (update, not full) I had a problem switching from 9.2 to back to 10.1. Simply put, when I try to open the the Startup Disk control panel (CP), after searching the drives for several seconds (like it normally does), it crashes with an #2 error (which is (or was) a lack of memory error). (NOTE: the problem didn't occur immidiatly after updating to 10.1, it worked fine for few days). This is the 2nd time I've had this happen. The first time I was able to solve the problem by (believe it or not) rerunning the 10.1 updater (I have no idea how doing so fixed a memory problem with the Startup Disk CP in 9.2 ) but I had tried some of the following prior to that without success:

increasing the CP's memory (went up to 90 Mbs!)

turning virtual memory on/off

turning extesions/CPs on/off

using just the 9.2 set of CP's/Extension set

reinstalling 9.2

Now your probably wndering "Why doesn't he just try running the 10.1 updater again?" This is for 2 reasons:

1 I've missed placed the 10.1 update Cd, and I'm to lazy to go to the computer store and pick up another one

and

2. I don't think I'd find reinstalling 10.1 every few days to be fun or practicle.

If anyone knows what the real problem is and how I can permanetly fix it (Preferably with out the 10.1 CD)

Although I don't know how if would figure in, but in case it does here's my setup:

Mystic G4 (400/AGP/Gigabit), 140 Mbs 100Mhz SDRAM

I thank everyone who tries to help me in advance
iGeek

Forum Links
Forum Rules