Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac and Sleep

eMac and Sleep
serranot
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2002, 09:35 PM

Hi folks,

Just got a new Mac after living with a PowerBase 180 for almost 6 years. Man, it's nice getting a new mac.

Anyway, the eMac won't go into sleep mode unless I select "Sleep" from the Apple menu. If I just let it sit, the monitor will go dark but the fan will never stop.

The eMac has a Logitech wireless optical mouse and AirPort. Is it possible that one of these things is creating network activity so that the computer never sleeps? I notice that when it is sleeping, a move of the mouse will wake it.

I appreciate any guidance you can give. I'm coming from Mac OS 8.6, so I have a lot of catching up to do. TIA.
T-bob

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 10:29 PM

Do you have your energy saver preference pane set to put the computer to sleep after a certain amount of time? This could be your problem...

gwehr

serranot  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 09:22 AM

<Do you have your energy saver preference pane set to put the computer to sleep after a certain amount of time? This could be your problem...

gwehr>

Yes, I have it set to sleep after 20 minutes. However, I can wait hours without touching the machine and only the screen will go dark. The fan continues to run unless I manually put the computer to sleep.
T-bob

serranot  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2002, 05:31 AM

Problem solved. There is a discussion on the Apple website that notes that sleep does not operate properly in OS X.2.x if you have personal file sharing turned on. With PFS turned on, the computer will not sleep unless it is initiated manually through the Apple menu. I disabled PFS and the computer sleeps perfectly now.
T-bob

Forum Links
Forum Rules