Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > P Diddy launches election crusade

P Diddy launches election crusade
Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 06:40 AM

Can't stand the guy, but if there is one thing he is good at it's marketing.

Just wondering what you guys think about this, and if it could have any effect on the upcoming election.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Logic:

Can't stand the guy, but if there is one thing he is good at it's marketing.

Just wondering what you guys think about this, and if it could have any effect on the upcoming election.
Agree with your comments above.

Here in Florida, we are actually involved with Citizen Change and will be working in in a few weeks to help them register people, there is expected to be around 3,000 people there to see him and we will be registering them all (in order to see an even, I am not sure who will be performing) anyway this is planned so everyone is ready in time for the Florida primary. I know his org. is doing this all over Florida and I suspect most of the country.

I imagine most of the people who attend will be young, male and minority.

Without getting in to Bush vs. Kerry, I think this combined with the HUGE ratings Howard Stern has had in just the 1 week he's been back in new FL markets should have big effect in Florida.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 11:24 AM

There was a rumor around two years ago that he was going to run for President. That would have been hilarious . It remained a rumor though.

As for the topic at hand, can't do any harm,

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 11:42 AM

"help register" lol

yeah, it's quite a difficult thing to do on your own.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
"help register" lol

It's not about helping people to fill out the registration form, it's about encouraging them to see the value in picking up the form in the first place. The majority of youngsters don't give a damn about politics primarily because they feel alienated. Getting P Diddy involved is only about providing an incentive for youngsters to take an interest in the democratic process (not that the US election process is anywhere near being democratic ).

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 12:41 PM

seems kinda pointless to prompt people into doing something they don't have an interest in doing.

I guess if I was a democrat and hating life right about now - I'd feel like my ONE vote wasn't going to be enough to turn the tide. Then, I suppose, I would try to get other people to vote against Dubya, too. People that otherwise wouldn't care one way or the other. What better way of making my opinion worth more than it is?

Just to be safe, I'd avoid trying to register people that had good jobs or were self-employed - or were otherwise successful in life. Those people are all conservatives. Instead, I'd concentrate my efforts on registering the poor and downtrodden and any other "victim of society" in need of the guiding hand of government. After all, it would be kinda stupid to register a bunch of conservative Republicans when the whole point was to get more votes for MY side - not theirs.

Just so it won't look obvious, I'd lie to everybody and proclaim that I'm simply trying to get them to vote...it doesn't matter who they vote for! (pure BS)

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 01:07 PM

Just to be safe, I'd avoid trying to register people that had good jobs or were self-employed - or were otherwise successful in life. Those people are all conservatives.
Not all. I'm not.

Just so it won't look obvious, I'd lie to everybody and proclaim that I'm simply trying to get them to vote...it doesn't matter who they vote for! (pure BS)
Glad you know where the mans heart is. At least he's not sitting around posting on an internet board all day.
( Last edited by mikellanes; Jul 23, 2004 at 01:12 PM. )

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 01:19 PM

"help register" lol

Sounds more like the old practice or registering dead people...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 01:43 PM

I'm guessing that if you have to 'help' somebody register to vote, you'll need to 'help' them to the polls and 'help' them vote, as well.

So tell me, Mike, where are you going to find people to register?

Chamber of commerce?

Stock exchange?

Area businesses?

Churches?

Or, perhaps, only areas where Democrats are in abundance already? Inner cities, state health clinics, the welfare office, employment security commission, etc?

be specific. 'cause I know I'm right.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Jul 23, 2004 at 02:16 PM. )

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 23, 2004, 01:50 PM

He is free to do what he wishes, though he should at least be honest and not claim that he is unbiased. Word up Yo !

Taken from BBC:Mr Combs insists that his movement, Citizen Change, will not favour one party over another. But a number of his advisers are Democrats including the political guru, James Carville, a key strategist for former President Bill Clinton.

I also read some stuff about many black pastors (with huge congregations) being against gay-marriage, and how some predict that perhaps 2004 will be the year that will see more blacks vote republican than ever before.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 01:53 PM

seems kinda pointless to prompt people into doing something they don't have an interest in doing.

I guess if I was a democrat and hating life right about now - I'd feel like my ONE vote wasn't going to be enough to turn the tide. Then, I suppose, I would try to get other people to vote against Dubya, too. People that otherwise wouldn't care one way or the other. What better way of making my opinion worth more than it is?

Instead, I'd concentrate my efforts on registering the poor and downtrodden and any other "victim of society" in need of the guiding hand of government. After all, it would be kinda stupid to register a bunch of conservative Republicans when the whole point was to get more votes for MY side - not theirs.

Ahh so to you, this whole issue about encouraging young people to get involved, is just another of the Democrat's 'conspiracies' to get themselves some more votes. Do you always have to look at everything as Republican Vs Democrat? Well here's something that might surprise you, alienation from politics amongst youngsters is a problem for most Western democracies, not just the US. Today's youngsters are the futures politicians. How are they going to progress their country's political systems if they grow up without an understanding of how the world works or worse, simply not caring at all?

Just to be safe, I'd avoid trying to register people that had good jobs or were self-employed - or were otherwise successful in life. Those people are all conservatives.
Well that's just pure BS. The focus of these initiatives is primarily on the young and the minorities because these are the groups that are the most detached from the political system. You'd be pretty stupid to think that every single successful person votes too. But it's more worrying to see such low turnouts amongst our future politicians.

And if you must bring the party BS in to this, I think you'll find that both the Democrats AND the Republicans are equally concerned about low voter turnout. If you step outside the US, you'll see that in countries where this problem also exists, party's representing all sides of the political spectrum are just as concerned about the low levels of participation amongst youngsters.

Thinking that this issue is just more party shenanigans is an extremely narrow perspective to take.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 01:55 PM

but I'm still right.

go figure.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 23, 2004, 02:06 PM

Historically, there have always been ignorant people who do not vote. That's just the way it is, and that goes for all races of course.

Look at the 1972 election. The middle of the Vietnam war, hundreds of US troops dying every single week. It makes Iraq look like a club med paradise. The election had a ridiculously low turn out, and the anti-war candidate fell flat on his face, and was whooped.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 02:23 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ublicans_x.htm

I always enjoy it when people say things like "My side would never hide documents - only yours." Or "My side would never be so desperate as to register disinterested voters - only yours." I enjoy it because it's such an easy target and can usually be disproven with a single Google search.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 02:34 PM

"For young Americans who care more about G-Unit than the GOP...."

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 03:06 PM

So tell me, Mike, where are you going to find people to register?
be specific. 'cause I know I'm right.
I am not finding anyone, I am only volunteering to help register, we will be in Ft. Lauderdale a well mixed area. These are the people P. Diddy feeel will show for this event, if he has and agenda it has nothing to do with me, I am there to help

I am sorry that (whoever rich kids listen to) is not hosting something because I would help all the "trust fund kids" here in Jupiter register to vote as well.

OreoCookie
Jul 23, 2004, 07:37 PM

Just to be safe, I'd avoid trying to register people that had good jobs or were self-employed - or were otherwise successful in life. Those people are all conservatives. Instead, I'd concentrate my efforts on registering the poor and downtrodden and any other "victim of society" in need of the guiding hand of government. After all, it would be kinda stupid to register a bunch of conservative Republicans when the whole point was to get more votes for MY side - not theirs.

Look at Steve Jobs, Andy Grove and Waitt (heads Gateway).
All pretty successful and judging from their donation habits democrats. Generalizing that (un)successful people are one way or the other is just BS.

The world is more complex than the clean-cut line Democrat-Republican.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
I am not finding anyone, I am only volunteering to help register, we will be in Ft. Lauderdale a well mixed area. These are the people P. Diddy feeel will show for this event, if he has and agenda it has nothing to do with me, I am there to help

I am sorry that (whoever rich kids listen to) is not hosting something because I would help all the "trust fund kids" here in Jupiter register to vote as well.
Do a search for "citizenchange", the PAC that sponsors the event you'll be participating in.

I AM RIGHT.

You're nothing but a leftist puppet.

I'd have some respect for you if you were honest about your motivation.

Just admit you want to help Democrats and liberals and I'll give you a big thumbs up. Don't sit there and pretend you're unbiased while you take such an active interest in elections. There's no way I'd believe it.

"If Dubya has an agenda, it has nothing to do with me - I'm just here at this RNC fundraiser to help register voters..."

"If Jesse Jackson has an agenda, it has nothing to do with me - I'm just here at this Rainbow Coalition fundraiser to help register voters..."

'cause it's some REAL DIFFICULT stuff...

name, address, party affiliation

um, yeah. If they need help with those things - YOU won't be able to help because YOU don't know their name, address, nor party affiliation (I guess you'll just point to "Democrat").

Might wanna tie their shoes for 'em, too - in case they're having trouble doing that. Might not hurt to remind them to breathe when you see them turn blue. They forget sometimes.

edited:

OMG! What if they're handed a PUNCH CARD ballot this November??? Will you be there to help 'em figure it out?
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Jul 24, 2004 at 01:04 AM. )

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 01:00 AM

"i just got back from a free P Diddy concert and this group of non-political-party-affiliated folks gave us all these Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers and registered us to vote and gave us beer and cigarettes.

I'm gonna vote for Kerry because poor people and babies are starving because of Bush. And I'd get drafted and die."

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 07:54 AM

Just admit you want to help Democrats and liberals and I'll give you a big thumbs up. Don't sit there and pretend you're unbiased while you take such an active interest in elections. There's no way I'd believe it.
I really don't give a **** about what you think regarding getting people involved in the political process. I don't know you, I don't care to, your posts are always jaded and you sound like a prick who only values his opinion.

As I said, I am not affiliated with ANYBODY I am helping out, I help every election year and donate when I can, I have been involved with rock the vote for over 4 years and have been at EVERY UCF event they sponsored where MANY young republicans registered to vote.

I am NOT a registered democrat, believe it or not, as I said at least i'm not sitting around on my high horse posting on the internet, or smoking pot and building water cooled penis extenders.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 11:25 AM

The point here should be there is nothing wrong with getting peeps to register and to vote.

Rolling up in a big ol' Republowagin or Demohooptie courtesy of the RNC and DNC is one thing and wholly reasonable. At least you know who it is However, trolling for registrants and culling votes under the guise of 'we just want you to vote' when the event is a PAC sponsored endeavor and it is done in specific demographical area is just plain slimey.

It should be one or the other... we are here pushing one candidate/issue or another and would like your vote. If you are not registered, we can do that. Otherwise, if you open with offering registration you should help with the form, nothing more, and be especially tight lipped about your positions.

I have been out on weekends at one public local or another and 99% of these "register to vote" peeps are always hot on your heels with 'would you consider a vote for XYZ"

Secondly, I don't much support these sort of efforts and I could care less about turn out. If you don't care to register and turn out, the chances are you have almost no knowledge about what you are voting on. And, frankly, if all you are voting on is commercialized political rhetoric I'd just rather you didn't. Not saying you should be denied, but if you are gonna vote, for pity's sake, don't do it based on a sound-byte.

T

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
I have been out on weekends at one public local or another and 99% of these "register to vote" peeps are always hot on your heels with 'would you consider a vote for XYZ"
I have never seen that when i was volunteering for rock the vote, Never in my 4 years of registering have I ever done anything like that either.

Citizen Change is the only org. who (as of now) is doing ANYTHING in my are where I can help out so I will.

As I said if you want to put together something I will be more than willing to help in the S. FL region in a nonpartisan way.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 02:13 PM

Some of you just can't see past black and white, left and right, rich and poor, wrong and right. Sure it's easier that way, but do you really want to be that narrow-minded?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 03:15 PM

No, it's not easier that way.

It would be far easier to just proclaim there is no right and wrong (there is).

and pretend that people don't have a left or right bias(they do).

Do you really want to be that open-minded?

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 03:24 PM

I didn't say that did I? I'm talking about a spectrum that some people just don't see. For there to be a spectrum, there has to be a point on either end. Problem is, people hunker down in their end of the spectrum and never come out and see what's up with all the grays.*

*This post is certified non-partisan.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
I have never seen that when i was volunteering for rock the vote, Never in my 4 years of registering have I ever done anything like that either.

Citizen Change is the only org. who (as of now) is doing ANYTHING in my are where I can help out so I will.

As I said if you want to put together something I will be more than willing to help in the S. FL region in a nonpartisan way.
I had a feeling you were being honest about your intent. Just wanted to make sure. It doesn't change the fact that another entity is using your labor to further a partisan cause. To me, the tradeoff wouldn't be worth it.

You get a thumbs-up for your initiative.

And my sincerest hope that you can find a fair place to use it.

My search for unbiased and non-state-sponsored voter registration events turned up absolutely nothing in Florida - or any of the other 49 states.

So, I reckon it ain't your fault.

Forum Links
Forum Rules