Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail won't send, and keeps asking for my address!

Mail won't send, and keeps asking for my address!
Scoates
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 09:42 PM

I have been trying to get my .mac mail through Mail, and for the most part I get all my E-mails. The main problem is that I can't send anything, and when I do send something sometimes, the other person doesn't get it.

It keeps telling me my password is wrong, but I know its right. I downloaded Keychain Aid like someone suggested, but that didn't fix anything.

Here are my settings.
Incoming Mail server: Mail.Mac.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.mac.com:[email protected]

I am using Comcast cable.
Under the .MAc settings in System Prefs, the password dots in the field are much longer than the actual password, but I've re-typed the correct password in many times and it seems to keep going back to those dots. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I wish to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2004, 10:35 PM

try authenticating with
smtp.mac.com:username

rather than
smtp.mac.com:[email protected]

That would seem the only difference from what I have working here.

The dot thing is by design: the fixed number of dots is intended to mask the length of your password from somebody snooping around your preferences or looking over your shoulder. Knowing the length of a password drastically reduces possible combinations that need to be guessed to crack it.

-s*

Scoates  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2004, 12:21 PM

I tried changing it to that , but it did not work. Is there a way I can somehow reset the settings for mail and by default it will pick the correct ones? SHould I re-install OSX ontop of itself?

Forum Links
Forum Rules