Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > How would i go about playing....

How would i go about playing....
Jive526
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 08:24 PM

Counter-Strike.

What is the best way to do this on a Mac? Is it even possible?
Helter-44-Kil'Jaeden

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 08:30 PM

no.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Jive526  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 08:34 PM

thanks mafia for your informative post.

My friend told me that it is possible to run linux aswell as OSX so that i can run other programs. true?
Helter-44-Kil'Jaeden

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2005, 11:47 PM

build a cheap pc... you don't need much to run cs
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 12:06 AM

Not possible. There's simply no way to play it on a Mac.

Your alternatives include getting it for XBox (there is an XBox version), building a cheap PC, or you could try getting Call Of Duty and playing the Retrieval and Search & Destroy game types (which are basically the same as Counter Strike's hostage rescue and bomb defusal game types). Oh, and the game itself is not demanding at all. It's a mod for Half-Life, which was released in 1998, and based on the Quake (not Quake 3) engine. Based on how Unreal Tournament (which was released in 1999) runs on a 550 MHz Pentium III with a 4 MB video card, I'd say you can probably make do with just about any Pentium III if you have at least an 8 MB video card, preferably a 16 MB. Even something like a Rage 128, original Radeon, Voodoo2, or GeForce 256 ought to work okay for it. You might be able to pick something up like that for free if you know where to look. Otherwise it won't cost you more than $50 to get a good enough CS box.

Honestly though, as fun as CS is, it's probably not worth buying a PC just for that one game. It has definitely endured the test of time and CS:S should keep it going for a couple more years, but it's honestly just a game (despite its reputation). I think Call Of Duty is nearly as good, and has a better (perhaps more mature or polite) online community.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Jive526  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:55 AM

i enjoy cs though, so if there is no way to run CS on linux?
Helter-44-Kil'Jaeden

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2005, 06:52 AM

As far as I know, the only CS component for Linux is the server, not the client. Even if the client were available, it would be a PC binary, so that wouldn't help. Virtual PC, which lacks 3D acceleration, certainly does not help. There is no way to do it. The Mac community was devastated when filthy Valve killed the Half Life port, which was nearly complete. Valve should choke and die. But it's not like anyone's bitter about it at this point.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
As far as I know, the only CS component for Linux is the server, not the client. Even if the client were available, it would be a PC binary, so that wouldn't help. Virtual PC, which lacks 3D acceleration, certainly does not help. There is no way to do it. The Mac community was devastated when filthy Valve killed the Half Life port, which was nearly complete. Valve should choke and die. But it's not like anyone's bitter about it at this point.
Agreed 100%. Big Mac is correct as usual.

Daedalus17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 02:43 AM

Here is an old petition to try to get Valve to port Half-Life 2 to the Mac(which in turn would make all the Half-Life mods possible). Although playing Counter-Strike on Linux is possible with Wine or Cedega, you need to use X86 binaries so Mac users are pretty much out of luck for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules