Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > soon to be new mac user + 12" powerbook...

soon to be new mac user + 12" powerbook...
psy111
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 02:04 AM

and was wondering how long for my eyes to adjust from a 17" pc monitor 1152x864 (wierd #, eh) to a 12" powerbook screen? I heard its easy to see, but ive been using a 17" monitor for as long as I can remember. the 14" I use at the mac lab at school are ok to see too. I am getting a 1.5ghz 12" pb in april (or right after tiger os is out) thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 09:40 AM

First of all, you can attach that 17" monitor to the PowerBook and use it at the 1152x864 resolution just like with the PC. This works with the PowerBook's internal screen on (screen spanning) or off (closed-lid mode).

Second of all, get used to Expos�. The PowerBook internal screen's 1024x768 is not much, but if you use Expos� you can get work done nonetheless.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 10:12 AM

I actually made a similar transition - always used my WinTel laptop with an external monitor so I had a 14.1" desktop and a 17" LCD extension
Actually found switching to my Rev.A 12" quite easy. Because it's so much more portable it lives on my lap not in the den a lot more so I've had to wean myself off the extra monitor
Now I've got used to not having the physical desktop - and Expose and Virtue (desktop manager) have been a real help with that - I find the 12" is more more than adequate.
You should try using an 8" Vaio PictureBook (C1 series) one day

philc
Feb 12, 2005, 04:00 PM

I do not think the size matters as much as how you use it.

Ok seriously I just ordered a 12" PB and am not worried at all. At work I use a 15" PC laptop all day long and it works just fine.

I guess it depends on how you multi-task, I myself prefer to switch between a lot of full size windows. This may changes when I move to MAC though. As soon as you get booted look at the F9, F10 and F11 keys.

The one problem you will need to worry about is ergonomics and ensure you don't get a sore back/neck when staring down at the screen.

Phil

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 07:06 PM

Just to make sure, we're talking about the same thing here...

MAC = media access control (in your Ethernet controller for example)

Mac = Mac as in Mac OS X or Macintosh

The former is an acronym, the latter isn't.

philc
Feb 12, 2005, 07:43 PM

noted....

arp -d simon

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 03:59 AM

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 10:33 PM

I've got a G5 with a 17" LCD and a 12" PB... I don't really have a problem jumping between the two...

don;t worry about it... and, as has already been said, you can mirror the 12" on your LCD

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 10:47 PM

I have a 17" PB and was considering moving to a 12" for portability. But when I went to CompUSA last night and actually saw it- I realized that there is NO WAY I can make that transition. I know your situation is different. But I would consider others to physically go see whatever size you are considering... (my 17" was bigger than I thought it would be...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules