Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATI Catalyst driver

ATI Catalyst driver
destroyedweapon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2011, 02:02 PM

Hello, I want to download Catalyst driver for my mac, but I cant find the version I need.

I have a iMac 10.1 with a ATI Radeon HD 4670, but when I select MAC drivers on the ATI download page I only get 7xxx, 8xxx, etc, but none that met the criteria. I don't want to download the wrong driver, any help is appreciated, especially if its the donwload link.

Also to mention that I want this driver to enable antialiasing in some games, maybe there is an easier way?

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2011, 02:31 PM

On the Mac side OS X contains all the graphics card drivers you need. There's no need to download drivers separately, and ATI/AMD won't show drivers for your iMac because they're handled by Apple.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks, can you tell me where are this settings?, this is my brother mac I don't really know mac and google is vague.

Thorzdad
Mar 16, 2011, 04:56 PM

There are no advanced settings or controls for the graphics processor on an iMac (other than basic brightness and color-depth). Often, settings for anti-aliasing are handled within the game itself.

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2011, 05:42 PM

I want to play older games that don't have AA, or even starcarft2 that don't have AA. Are you telling me i can't aa this games in mac? what a waste.

Still trying to find a control panel driver...

ibook_steve
Mar 16, 2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by destroyedweapon View Post
I want to play older games that don't have AA, or even starcarft2 that don't have AA. Are you telling me i can't aa this games in mac? what a waste.

Still trying to find a control panel driver...
As mentioned, you're not going to find one.

Which iMac is this (processor, speed, amount of memory all obtained from About this Mac in Apple menu)? If it's at OS 10.1, I'm guessing this is an older G4 (PowerPC) machine, which means you'll never be able to play a newer game like StarCraft 2.

If it is PowerPC, the latest OS you can update to is 10.5 (Leopard) which you'll have to search for and purchase online. Updating the OS to the latest version that the machine can handle will get you the latest graphics drivers available for the machine.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2011, 06:46 PM

The Mac OS X is 10.6.6, has core duo 3,06 GHz and 4gb ram, when i go to advanced it says model: iMac10,1. I thought that said something, like i said, this is not my Mac and i know very little about it.

I'm not really interested in the driver, but in a display config that allows me to AA choosen applications, games. If it can't be done then is really a hole missing from the windows drivers.

P
Mar 16, 2011, 07:21 PM

I think that what the OP is trying to do is to force antialiasing on, overriding application settings. Both ATi and nVidia offer such a feature on the Windows side, where the driver enables AA of a certain type no matter what the app says.

There is no such setting on a Mac, as far as I know. I tend to crank the resolution instead.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 07:26 PM

Have you tried playing the games in question without the AA? Are they really so bad?

You can always install Windows on it if you must.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2011, 09:21 PM

Differences between AA on and off, yeah very noticeable. I found that there used to be a driver that did this, but is old and outdated and wont work with the newer cards. Is called "ATI Displays 4.5.7".

How about "Apple Boot Camp" download option from amd web? what is that?, i can select iMac as a product with it.
( Last edited by destroyedweapon; Mar 16, 2011 at 09:33 PM. )

ibook_steve
Mar 17, 2011, 01:23 AM

Boot camp allows you to reboot the iMac into Windows (dual boot).

I didn't understand you when you said 10.1. I thought you were talking about the OS version, not the hardware version number.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2011, 01:36 AM

I thought he was talking about OS X 10.1 as well at first, but then I realized he couldn't be because no iMac with that GPU could run an OS that old. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Mar 17, 2011, 09:16 AM

Differences between AA on and off, yeah very noticeable.
Correct, but please understand what you are doing here. If the manufacturer of the game didn't put in an option for AA, then the manufacturer didn't intend for AA to be used. It's not as if Blizzard had never seen AA.

I found that there used to be a driver that did this, but is old and outdated and wont work with the newer cards. Is called "ATI Displays 4.5.7".
That is a control panel for third-party GPUs which ATi used to manufacture for Macs. These days I don't think they update it any more. It never officially worked with the graphics cards that Apple shipped (although there were ways to hack it, IIRC).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2011, 11:05 AM

Yeah that driver plus a fix would make it work in old iMac's and macbooks, the driver works, it let you change simple things to screen but it can't recognize the newer cards and says unknown card when looking for advanced 3D settings.

I mainly want it for older games that don't have AA settings, which are the games that need it the most. Also new games like starcraft2 that surprisingly don't have, but this are few. It just that AA and Anisotropic filtering are great things to add to old games in windows, it is very disappointing that Mac don't have them.
( Last edited by destroyedweapon; Mar 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM. )

P
Mar 18, 2011, 06:08 AM

If the games are old, you can play the Windows version in emulation (e.g. Parallels).

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2011, 10:46 AM

Old meaning year 2000 more or less. I wont install windows and probably screw this computer up if i do it wrong. Admit is a big hole in the mac drivers, need a big work around to enable it, like install windows, when the driver should have it implemented like the linux or windows ones. And i have mac games, installing windows would need to get windows versions, so the work around is even bigger.

Hasn't this ever been requested to MAC developers?, What is their saying on the matter?, I'm sure they wont like the solution that seems to be the only one, installing windows.
( Last edited by destroyedweapon; Mar 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM. )

P
Mar 18, 2011, 03:09 PM

Old meaning year 2000 more or less. I wont install windows and probably screw this computer up if i do it wrong. Admit is a big hole in the mac drivers, need a big work around to enable it, like install windows, when the driver should have it implemented like the linux or windows ones. And i have mac games, installing windows would need to get windows versions, so the work around is even bigger.
Sure it's a big workaround. It's a missing feature, but I don't think I ever saw anyone else get that upset about it.

Hasn't this ever been requested to MAC developers?, What is their saying on the matter?, I'm sure they wont like the solution that seems to be the only one, installing windows.
Why should developers care? They can just enable the feature in their games.

destroyedweapon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2011, 07:49 PM

They should care because old games don't get updated/upgraded and there are lots of people who like playing older games too.

Anyway, thanks all for the answers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules