Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ram at the Apple store?

Ram at the Apple store?
rondocap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 03:21 PM

Online, I saw that ram for the G5 from the Apple store is $150 for 2x256mb, and #250 for 1 gig.

Are these prices the same at physical apple stores? Do they usually carry ram? From crucial, 2x256mb is about 58$. That is a pretty big difference.

If I BTO online, I can go to 1gig for about $90 or so. If I buy a G5 at a physical apple store, can they add it for that much as well, or do I have to pay much more?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 03:31 PM

Yes, you will pay more at Apple Stores. Buy RAM online where you will get a better deal.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 03:42 PM

If you BTO a machine, you can get any memory configuration your heart desires. 2x512, 2x1G, etc...
If you buy from an Apple Retail Store, you own the memory that comes with it stock (2x256) and then they can add more for you above and beyond that.

ImpulseResponse

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 03:52 PM

1GB RAM chips are $120 from Crucial, MacGurus, OWC, or $240 for a 2GB pair.

RAM prices have dropped but Apple seems to set their price once a year or at least doesn't reflect market prices.

Take a look at MacFixit's article on RAM and testing RAM. then read the MacIntouch "Bad RAM" report. Whatever you buy, run Memtest - must be done from the command line (Terminal) or can easily be run at startup from Single User Mode prompt, where it can test more RAM as the system hasn't loaded yet.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 01:46 AM

do some research before you buy ram online!

Forum Links
Forum Rules