Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Burning CD's with Long File Names

Burning CD's with Long File Names
iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 09:33 PM

I usually download mp3's on my PC and then move them to my Mac for burning to CD.

On most occasions i have to rename the files down to 31 characters maximum before moving to the Mac otherwise i end up with DOS names for the files.

Is there some way i can burn the files on the Mac without having to reduce file names and so that the CD will contain mp3 files with long names?

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by iSilver:
<STRONG>I usually download mp3's on my PC and then move them to my Mac for burning to CD.

On most occasions i have to rename the files down to 31 characters maximum before moving to the Mac otherwise i end up with DOS names for the files.

Is there some way i can burn the files on the Mac without having to reduce file names and so that the CD will contain mp3 files with long names? </STRONG>

When you burn them, burn the CD as ISO 9660 with Joliet naming. That will do it for ya.
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

iSilver  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 12:17 AM

... when i move the MP3 files to the Mac, the file names get reduced by the OS, so they will be short when the disc is burned ...

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Dec 12, 2001, 08:39 PM

<STRONG>... when i move the MP3 files to the Mac, the file names get reduced by the OS, so they will be short when the disc is burned ...</STRONG>
that's a problem with the method you use to transfer the files. When I go from mac to pc and back, I use OS X's built in ftp server, and WS_FTP on the PC. If you have the slightest interest in privacy of your data, use OS X's built in ssh access (turn on remote login), and use winSCP on the PC.

I'm guessing you used some kind of carbon program on the mac to transfer the files, and that program is the one that truncated the file names.
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 09:11 PM

<STRONG>... when i move the MP3 files to the Mac, the file names get reduced by the OS, so they will be short when the disc is burned ...</STRONG>
What do you use to transfer your files from your PC to your Mac? If it's networked, just burn the CD straight from the PC instead of transfering them first. Just an idea.
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 05:03 AM

well, I'll be damned. Toast won't let me go over 31 chars, even with joliet naming. What am I missing here?

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2001, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by lucylawless:
<STRONG>well, I'll be damned. Toast won't let me go over 31 chars, even with joliet naming. What am I missing here?</STRONG>
I use my G4 to burn off my PC as well. They are networked and I preselect ISO 9660, drag the .mp3 files over, then go to the "data" button and click the tab that you can choose Joiet naming.

I've really never had a problem with that.

Hmmmm, other than that, I'd have to look into it further.

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2001, 05:57 AM

To follow up, I just dragged the .mp3 files straight from the mounted PC drive into toast.

Father OCN

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2001, 05:59 AM

Another note, make sure you are checking your burned disks in your PC. Otherwise the cd in your mac will show the trunkated names.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 06:23 AM

is this in OS 9? I'm not doing any networking here, I just want the OS X long file names. I'm very surprised Toast can do long Joliet names in 9, but not X...

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2001, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by lucylawless:
<STRONG>is this in OS 9? I'm not doing any networking here, I just want the OS X long file names. I'm very surprised Toast can do long Joliet names in 9, but not X...</STRONG>
I have not tried to burn anything in X yet. So I'm sorry from here on out.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2001, 09:29 AM

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/index.html

Here's a utility that allows Mac OS9 to read Joliet file names correctly. It's cool, helpful, and free.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules