Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Odd startup disk problem

Odd startup disk problem
Spoffo
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2005, 06:57 PM

I just upgraded my old G3 PowerBook (Firewire) from OS9 to Panther. After downloading all the various updates and such, it now has OS 10.3.9 (7W98) and the OS 9 system is updated to OS 9.2.2.

Everything works fine in Panther and in Classic mode. However, I have one ancient app that won't run under classic, so I need to boot in OS 9 to get it to run.

Switching from 10 to 9 via the "startup disk" preferences pane works fine. The problem comes when I try to switch the boot back from 9 to 10. The OS 9 Startup Disk Control Panel (v 9.2.6) shows both system folders with the correct information as to system versions in each. However, it won't let me select the OS X folder. I can only highlight the OS 9 folder or Network startup. Further odd symptom: if I go ahead and restart with the OS 9 folder selected, I get the old floppy-icon-with-flashing-question-mark for almost a minute before it finds the OS 9 system and starts booting - - - every time.

I've reset the PRAM and repaired permissions, with no effect.

Luckily, I can get back to OS X by holding down the X key while booting, but clearly there's something wrong here. It seems like this would be a known problem, but I can't find anything that covers it in the Apple Knowledge Base.

Any ideas?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2005, 07:16 PM

I have no idea why this problem occurs, but if you have to live with it it may be easier to boot in OS9 by holding down the option key and choosing the OS9 system, then when you restart you automatically revert to OSX

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2005, 07:32 PM

Unless I am mistaken, holding down option to get to the OF OS loader will only show one OS per volume - the one most recently booted from. Holding the X key during startup should force the system back to OS X, however.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spoffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2005, 07:38 PM

Good idea, but it didn't work, so I guess this is another symptom: If I restart from OS X, holding down the option key only shows me the OS X startup option, and if I restart from OS 9, it only shows me the OS 9 startup. In neither case does holding down the option key actually give me a choice of startup system.

One other tidbit: This problem only occured after I applied all the system updates. When I first installed Panther from the install disks (Something like OS 10.3.0 or 10.3.1), and the OS 9 system was still 9.1, switching startup disks worked fine both ways. The problem came after downloading and installing updates on both sides.

Forum Links
Forum Rules