Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Soriano, Cubs agree to $136 million, 8-year deal

Soriano, Cubs agree to $136 million, 8-year deal
marden
Baninated
Nov 20, 2006, 10:14 PM

Soriano, Cubs agree to $136 million, 8-year deal
RICK GANO
Associated Press

CHICAGO - Alfonso Soriano seemed surprised Monday when informed he'd agreed to the fifth-richest contract in baseball history.

"Thank you for telling me," the newest member of the Cubs said. "Like I said before, I'm not even thinking about the money. I'm happy to be here in Chicago. ... Everybody wants to win, so that's the most important for me."

Soriano, the most-sought after free agent on the market, passed a physical Monday and the Cubs announced they had agreed to a $136 million, eight-year contract. It's the first deal of eight years or more in the major leagues since Scott Rolen's $90 million, eight-year extension with St. Louis in September 2002.

"It's a big contract, but that's not my goal," Soriano said. "My goal is to play hard and give you a championship for the city. That's my goal. It's not about the contract."

The deal came together quickly when Cubs general manager Jim Hendry and manager Lou Piniella met with Soriano during the general managers meetings last week in Naples, Fla. Soriano's agent, Pat Rooney, told Hendry on Saturday that he would sign with Chicago if a contract could be worked out.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/16061817.htm

When he was with the Yankees I thought he was one of THE best players in the game and I wondered why they would ever trade him. Then it began to look like he might become just one of those guys who goes unsung and largely unappreciated.

I am happy to see him get the respect he deserves.

It's always about the money to some degree when you get this much, but in the same vein, it's not about the money, but the respect!

Atomic Rooster
Nov 20, 2006, 10:49 PM

In before gorickey...whatever.

What about that Japanese pitcher who got $50 million just so some team could talk to him. I forget which team.

He throws a pitch that goes straight for your head then nosedives and swirls into the strike zone.

I think they call it the 'gyroball'.
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Nov 20, 2006 at 11:30 PM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Speaking of...Rickey Henderson could have gone to the Cubs for far less money.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 12:23 AM

Soriano is worth the money for now, but will be a bloated contract player in 5 years... Cubs still need pitching, defense, and a winning attitude, Soriano brings none of the 3.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Speaking of...Rickey Henderson could have gone to the Cubs for far less money.

And he would have given them more stolen bases too.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 21, 2006, 01:13 AM

What about that Japanese pitcher who got $50 million just so some team could talk to him. I forget which team.

He throws a pitch that goes straight for your head then nosedives and swirls into the strike zone.

Boston

Red Sox reportedly win negotiation rights for Japanese pitcher Matsuzaka

The Boston Red Sox have reportedly won the negotiation rights for ace Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka, according to the Major League web site.

ESPN sports channel said that the Red Sox won the negotiation rights with Matsuzaka for a staggering 42 million dollars, or some 5 billion yen. Other reports say the Red Sox's offer was close to 50 million dollars, or 5.9 billion yen.

The Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's club in Japan, remained tight-lipped about the deal, saying a simultaneous announcement will be made in Japan and the United States at 10 a.m. (Japan time) on Wednesday.

"Japan's baseball commissioner has strongly urged us not to announce the details (until Wednesday)," Seibu Lions President Hidekazu Ota said at the Lions' office in Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture.

The club that wins the negotiation rights will have 30 days to reach a contract agreement with the 26-y
( Last edited by marden; Nov 21, 2006 at 01:20 AM. )

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 21, 2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Soriano is worth the money for now, but will be a bloated contract player in 5 years... Cubs still need pitching, defense, and a winning attitude, Soriano brings none of the 3.
He's an important piece of a puzzle.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 01:28 AM

They still need picthcing.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
They still need picthcing.
if prior, zambrano and wood are healthy, they will be the best team in the NL.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 21, 2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
Landing Soriano also continues the Cubs' fine tradition of having stellar infielders.

Banks. Ryno. Grace. (I thought Mark Grace was a GREAT player! As a Giants fan when SF got him I was thrilled!) Santo. Bowa. And we can't forget Leon Durham!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 05:27 PM

better the cubs then the white sox

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
Ive heard that for the last 4 years.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 11:25 PM

My opinion of Soriano then: Punk during the playoffs and lied about his age.

My opinion of Soriano now: His strikeouts went up and so did his homers. He's trying to hit homers IMO and he'll fizzle about halfway through his contract. I don't see him being the same player when he's 35, sorry. He's good now though for sure.

Whether or not I'd prefer to have him or A-Rod is up in the air but I can definitely admit that I am glad Robbie Cano plays 2B for the Yanks now. I want the Yanks to re-build closer to 1995 rather than the shyt they pull now signing steroid morons and one year wonders like Pavano and Wright.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 01:14 AM

Unless this is a joke, if so then I've completely missed it, I would like to hear more about this guy. Any links?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 01:16 AM

Sorry, I should probably read the whole thread next time. Thanks marden, I skimmed over your post the first time around.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Sorry, I should probably read the whole thread next time. Thanks marden, I skimmed over your post the first time around.
No probs!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Unless this is a joke, if so then I've completely missed it, I would like to hear more about this guy. Any links?
Boston Red Sox : News : Boston Red Sox News

Soriano is definitely not worth what the Cubs are paying him. Between this and the Matsuzaka thing (where the Red Sox are likely going to spend upwards of $100M on one guy too, including the posting fee, and that's not likely to be more than four years), the overall price of free agents is astronomical this year. Scott Boras must need another Porshe or something.

I'm glad the Mets stayed away from Soriano, if this is the kind of money he wanted. I'll take a year of Moises Alou instead. But on the pitching front, since a trade for the D-Train seems to not be happening, I hope they can grab Zito without overpaying quite so much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules