Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The policy of fear

The policy of fear
villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 09:39 PM

illustrated by this comment form Dick Cheney.

'"If we make the wrong choice, then the danger is that we'll get hit again -- that we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States," Cheney said.'

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ror/index.html

Lame, oh so lame. Will Americans be swayed by the fear instigating Cheney? i think not.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2004, 09:45 PM

Cheney is a slimy piece of crap of a human being. Hopefully this shows what a danger this country is in by having this administration in power? Wake-up call maybe?

May the gods o' politics fine Cheney one heart attack of penance for his display.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
May the gods o' politics fine Cheney one heart attack of penance for his display.
And I wish Clinton a good recovery from his surgery.

You are a good representative for the despicable extreme left.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:

'"If we make the wrong choice, then the danger is that we'll get hit again -- that we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States," Cheney said.'

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ror/index.html

Lame, oh so lame. Will Americans be swayed by the fear instigating Cheney? i think not.
Rule #1: I am right.
Rule #2: Whenever I am wrong, rule #1 takes precedence.

Also:

Supplementary Rule #3: If you are afraid, you are right to be because it is scary.
Supplementary Rule #4: If you are not afraid, you are in denial and it is scarier.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

Oh, you're right! Cheney made a supar awexome statement the other day! He's the greatest! Really made me proud to be an American. I heart Dick Cheney! May he live a happy and gonorrhea-free life!

I was trying to be funny, but I honestly wouldn't be upset or saddened if Dick Cheney died of a massive heart attack tomorrow! I only hope he lives�despite my feelings that he is a disgusting, power-hungry man�because I think he hurts the Bush campaign so much.

You may think I'm some lefty extremist, but your posts clearly represent the idiocy of some right-wing, "social" conservative, neo-con nut-jobs. No?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 10:08 PM

Well, we elected Bush, and the terrorists attacked us, so we should be afraid of electing him, too.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:20 PM

Do you actually have anything to contribute to this thread? not that I would expect anything, but I guess it does not hurt to ask.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 10:32 PM

...but don't stop there -- let's finish his quote:

"And then we'll fall back into the pre-9/11 mindset, if you will, that in fact these terrorist attacks are just criminal acts and that we're not really at war. I think that would be a terrible mistake for us."

...and that's what his point was. ScaryEddie twisted DC's words and made into (boo-hoo hoo) "scare tactic" words. Cripes, I'm freaking� voting for the guys (Bush/Cheney) and when I listened to DC say that, I knew exactly what he meant -- Kerry would be more "compassionate" when dealing out consequences/retaliation. Simple. Most Bush/Cheney supporters don't want to be more compassionate towards "them."

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:

"And then we'll fall back into the pre-9/11 mindset, if you will, that in fact these terrorist attacks are just criminal acts and that we're not really at war. I think that would be a terrible mistake for us."

...and that's what his point was. ScaryEddie twisted DC's words and made into (boo-hoo hoo) "scare tactic" words. Cripes, I'm freaking� voting for the guys (Bush/Cheney) and when I listened to DC say that, I knew exactly what he meant -- Kerry would be more "compassionate" when dealing out consequences/retaliation. Simple. Most Bush/Cheney supporters don't want to be more compassionate towards "them."

Maury
Still scare tactic, no matter how you look at it. He implied they would be a higher likelyhood of terrorist attacks against the US if kerry was to be elected, i.e. 'If you work for Kerry you are voting for the terrorists'. I saw that fallacious and quite simplistic rethoric on the Macnn fora countless times, I am pretty amazed to see that for real in the election campaign. He IS trying to scare the American voters. I don't think this is going to work though.

By the way, is the so-called 'pre 9/11 thinking' referring to the lax Bush administration's stance on terrorism? Wasting time in Iraq does not help with the war on terrorism by the way. It does not. I repeat, it does not help with the war on terrorism.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:

Maury
Well, it was almost 4 years ago, which means it's pretty well down the memory hole, but I have a dim recollection of a vacationing president BUSH being in the white house pre-9/11. I also have a somewhat less dim recollection of people within his administration saying that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice refused advice to get serious about Al Queda. The pre-9/11 mindset is solidly property of the Bush administration.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 10:50 PM

Wasting time in Iraq does not help with the war on terrorism by the way. It does not. I repeat, it does not help with the war on terrorism.
And many people disagree with that statement. I repeat, many people disagree with that statement. Iraq was a good place to get a foothold in the mideast. It has provoked many of the loonies, and this is a smart move.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:54 PM

And many people disagree with that statement. I repeat, many people disagree with that statement. Iraq was a good place to get a foothold in the mideast. It has provoked many of the loonies, and this is a smart move.
I guess many people don't have a grasp of reality and will believe whatever the administration want them to believe. Thanksfullly the majority of Americans are not that gullible.
'You fool me once, err..., shame on me, err, you can't fool me twice'.

PS BTW, your sig on top of being lame is quite incorrect grammatically. You could at least make sure it is not, because it appears every single time you post and does nothing to increase your credibility.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2004, 11:18 PM

We don't much care what the French think.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by tie:
sorry, I can't remember this week's reason why we attacked Iraq
Iraq was a good place to get a foothold in the mideast. It has provoked many of the loonies, and this is a smart move.
Thanks for the update -- provoke the loonies and get (another) middle east foothold. I'd missed the weekly bulletin (out diving).

I disagree that only the Bush administration is guilty of having a lax pre-9/11 attitude. However, the Bush administration had it in spades. Bush himself was vacationing every day* while his advisors were plotting excuses for attacking Iraq.

The problem is that the Bush administration still has a pre-9/11 attitude. They were happy with overthrowing the Taliban, but didn't try hard enough to take down Al Qaeda. The eventual war with Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism. They are still dragging their heels on reforming the intelligence community -- three years after its dramatic and costly failures on 9/11, and more than a year after its again costly failure with Iraq. They are underfunding domestic security in order to fund tax cuts for the rich (and the war in Iraq). What reforms they have made are strongly motivated by politics, and not what is best for the nation. (E.g., Ridge's remarks endorsing Bush as he announced a terror alert, Cheney's remarks that voting for Kerry will cause a terrorist attack.)

* I know, I know, only 40% of the time on vacation. He sure was working hard.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
We don't much care what the French think.
French Connection armed Saddam
New intelligence revealing how long France continued to supply and arm Saddam Hussein's regime infuriated U.S. officials as the nation prepared for military action against Iraq.

The intelligence reports showing French assistance to Saddam ongoing in the late winter of 2002 helped explain why France refused to deal harshly with Iraq and blocked U.S. moves at the United Nations.

"No wonder the French are opposing us," one U.S. intelligence official remarked after illegal sales to Iraq of military and dual-use parts, originating in France, were discovered early last year before the war began.

U.S. intelligence would not discover the pipeline until the eve of war last year; sensitive intelligence indicated that parts had been smuggled to Iraq as recently as that January.

"A thriving gray-arms market and porous borders have allowed Baghdad to acquire smaller arms and components for larger arms, such as spare parts for aircraft, air-defense systems and armored vehicles," the CIA said in a report to Congress made public that month.

U.S. intelligence agencies later came under fire over questions about prewar estimates of Iraq's stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction. But intelligence on Iraq's hidden procurement networks was confirmed.

An initial accounting by the Pentagon in the months after the fall of Baghdad revealed that Saddam covertly acquired between 650,000 and 1 million tons of conventional weapons from foreign sources. The main suppliers were Russia, China and France.

By contrast, the U.S. arsenal is between 1.6 million and 1.8 million tons.

As of last year, Iraq owed France an estimated $4 billion for arms and infrastructure projects, according to French government estimates. U.S. officials thought this massive debt was one reason France opposed a military operation to oust Saddam.

The fact that illegal deals continued even as war loomed indicated France viewed Saddam's regime as a future source of income.

Just days before U.S. and coalition forces launched their military campaign against Iraq, more evidence of French treachery emerged.

In mid-March 2003, U.S. intelligence and defense officials confirmed that exporters in France had conspired with China to provide Iraq with chemicals used in making solid fuel for long-range missiles. The sanctions-busting operation occurred in August 2002, the U.S. National Security Agency discovered through electronic intercepts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules