Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox font (not) smoothing problem

Firefox font (not) smoothing problem
rafalski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 08:17 PM

My new macbook 7200rpm hard drive that I had upgraded to some time ago, died suddenly. Luckily I had the original drive with a full and quite recent system backup on it.
I put the "spare" drive back into my mac. The only thing that is different now when running from it is that Firefox displays non-smoothed fonts on some sites, ie. the google ads here on MacNN forums are pixelated (along with "Ads by Google").
System settings are "turn off font smoothing for sizes 6px and smaller". I tried 4px, but it didn't work either. I removed Firefox completely (with all settings), reinstalled - the problem remains. Strangely, only Firefox seems to be affected - Safari, Opera, Camino work properly.
Any hints?..

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 09:21 AM

Are you sure Camino works "properly"? Gecko-based browsers respect screen fonts, displaying them without antialiasing (since that's how they're designed to be displayed), while some other browsers improperly antialias them.

rafalski  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 02:34 PM

I restarted the machine many times, after editing font setings - nothing helped. Strangely, fonts got fixed overnight, I don't want to know how
Camino worked ok all the time though, the quirkiness appeared in firefox/bonecho only.

Forum Links
Forum Rules