Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > George Lucas Strikes Back

George Lucas Strikes Back
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 12:51 AM

For the one or two people who missed it:

George Lucas Strikes Back {HD Trailer} - YouTube

Via Frame Rate.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 13, 2011, 02:23 AM

Not bad.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2011, 03:55 AM

Made my night! Thanks for posting

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 08:51 AM

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2011, 12:11 PM

Genius.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2011, 05:52 PM

That was sorta funny.

There are lots of things to criticize the prequels for: flat characters, flat acting, poor editing, comedy that isn't funny. But when I hear people moaning about midichlorians, I wanna smack them. What a stupid thing to complain about.

And the prequels weren't entirely bad, and the originals weren't entirely good. Revenge of the Sith is a better movie than Return of the Jedi, which suffered from a terrible story and implausible motivations. Like the "plan" to the rescue Han from Jabba's Palace by having everyone captured first, or Vader protecting the Emperor from Luke after trying to recruit Luke to kill the Emperor in the previous film, or teddy bears with spears defeating armoured troops with laser guns.

Prequel haters sometimes hate for the wrong reasons, while ignoring the numerous problems with the originals. Nostalgia blinds everyone.

Unless you think it makes perfect sense that AT-ATs are invulnerable to lasers when walking, but magically become vulnerable to lasers after tripping on a cord.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2011, 05:56 PM

Could they have found someone who looks and sounds less like Lucas?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 05:57 PM

The problem is, you're comparing to a fake Lucas

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2011, 06:03 PM

Ha ha. Touché.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2011, 08:43 AM

On the one hand, the prequels were a lot more like the Saturday morning serials Lucas said he was emulating with the original trilogy than the original trilogy was. Unfortunately, those serials were flat with one-dimensional and cartoonish characters and lame story lines. At least the effects in the prequels were great.

On the other hand, we who had grown up with the original stories, robust and well rounded conflicts with deep characters and for the most part decent acting, were disappointed that the prequels featured too much variation between levels of acting quality (Ewan McGregor on the one hand, Hayden Christiansen on the other...) and with the vistas, effects and gee-whiz stuff overwhelming the story in the first place. I did like ALL the movies, but none of the prequels even got anywhere near the level of The Empire Strikes Back for story, acting, or any of the other things that made TESB a truly exceptional film.

Oh, and I really liked one tag line from the trailer: "Shoot first."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
That was sorta funny.

There are lots of things to criticize the prequels for: flat characters, flat acting, poor editing, comedy that isn't funny. But when I hear people moaning about midichlorians, I wanna smack them. What a stupid thing to complain about.

And the prequels weren't entirely bad, and the originals weren't entirely good. Revenge of the Sith is a better movie than Return of the Jedi, which suffered from a terrible story and implausible motivations. Like the "plan" to the rescue Han from Jabba's Palace by having everyone captured first, or Vader protecting the Emperor from Luke after trying to recruit Luke to kill the Emperor in the previous film, or teddy bears with spears defeating armoured troops with laser guns.

Prequel haters sometimes hate for the wrong reasons, while ignoring the numerous problems with the originals. Nostalgia blinds everyone.

Unless you think it makes perfect sense that AT-ATs are invulnerable to lasers when walking, but magically become vulnerable to lasers after tripping on a cord.
I don't think the Midichlorians were a problem in and of themselves. They're representative of the mystery being drained out of the original movies for a quick buck.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2011, 05:26 PM

Taking the mystery out of the way the Force worked didn't help, and there are probably a number of ways "this kid has a whole lot of potential" could have been indicated without adding some sort of buzzword to the Star Wars lexicon. On the other hand, I always got the impression that after falling on its face, an AT-AT lost power and/or shields, making it vulnerable. That part made sense to me. So did "the little guy" (Ewoks) defeating the "modern, superior military force" (Imperial troops) using a superior knowledge of their own land and the "superior force's" tendency to misidentify where the real threat was coming from.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 05:32 PM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 01:47 PM

nice post. I always wondered what happened to George Lucas.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules