Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Lil' Mini Review: Keyboard Maestro Control

Lil' Mini Review: Keyboard Maestro Control
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2011, 11:25 AM

Free, but you need Keyboard Maestro, which is $36.

Don't get it to be nauseated by the icon. Don't get it because it allows total control of your Mac from your iPhone, even though that's pretty cool. Get it because it's fast. Like, LiLo on a two-week bender fast.

Even through the secure server, it authenticates like you shoved a wasp in its pants. Then you're actually controlling things remotely instead of thinking about how neat it will be to control things remotely after Pokey Remote App McSloth decides to stop playing grab-ass.

Keyboard Maestro Control for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2011, 12:34 PM

Very cool. I think we need a "head-to-head" comparison, though, of Keyboard Maestro Control and Pokey Remote App McSloth. Just so we can laugh at that great app name.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2011, 03:40 PM

Twice as fast (1.5 seconds versus 3) from a dead stop. Encrypted. I tested it against Pokey Remote App McSloth, Reemote for Airfoil, and VLC Remote. I didn't test Remote Buddy because it's garbage.

My results assume the respective servers want to play nice. VLC Remote hangs all the time, while Pokey Remote App McSloth and Reemote both* get timeout errors. Pokey is especially petulant. More than 50% timeouts in my experience. The Keyboard Maestro server has so far behaved flawlessly.

* I accidentally typed "borg" and the auto-correct tried to capitalize it. Someone at Apple is a total nerd.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 19, 2011 at 03:47 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Twice as fast (1.5 seconds versus 3) from a dead stop. Encrypted. I tested it against Pokey Remote App McSloth, Reemote for Airfoil, and VLC Remote. I didn't test Remote Buddy because it's garbage.

My results assume the respective servers want to play nice. VLC Remote hangs all the time, while Pokey Remote App McSloth and Reemote both* get timeout errors. Pokey is especially petulant. More than 50% timeouts in my experience. The Keyboard Maestro server has so far behaved flawlessly.

* I accidentally typed "borg" and the auto-correct tried to capitalize it. Someone at Apple is a total nerd.
I was actually joking, but I like your thoroughness. And yes, someone (probably a lot of someones) is a total nerd. Kind of expected, really.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I was actually joking
Oh, I knew that.

I just didn't know it until about 20 seconds after I hit submit.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2011, 02:39 PM

I haven't implemented this yet, since I just thought of it, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I've got annoying crap I need to automate in After Effects, and a bunch of menu items I make semi-regular use of which don't have hotkeys. I can make some impossible to remember hotkeys, and make even more impossible to remember hotkeys for the macros, or...

I can have the menu items and macros triggerable from the Keyboard Maestro server, and poof... my iPhone is an After Effects function keypad.

This could be adapted to any program which manages an ass-load of content. You could do it for anything really, but I've found programs that have a lot of content management need it more often.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 30, 2011 at 02:47 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules