Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AddressBook versus Bluetooth Phones: SMS function: the phone list

AddressBook versus Bluetooth Phones: SMS function: the phone list
Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 04:12 PM

My Sony Ericsson P910i doesn't work with the SMS function which is in AddressBook.
It works well with iSync, and it even works in the way that if connected via Bluetooth there is a pop-up in AddressBook when someone calls, but no ID.

I used to have a SE T68i, which worked as a charm: you could see who is calling you in a pop-up window from AddressBook, you could receive and send SMS text messages using AddressBook.
Very need, and certainly very handy, as a real keyboard is the way to go when typing in SMS when at home.

It's known that the SE P910i seems to use a bit different SMS and therefor it isn't compatible with Apple's AddressBook.
And although there is this compatibility list from Apple iSync that does actually only means you can sync your phone if on the list, but doesn't really state if it is/isn't compatible with the SMS function.

My idea is to make a list of other phones, by naming the phone (brand and type) and saying if it does work with the SMS function.

As example:

Sony Ericsson T68i - works with SMS function
Sony Ericsson P910i - does not work with SMS function

I am specially interested in Sony Ericsson phones, and in the Motorola Razr.

Thanks.

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2005, 05:19 PM

Sony Ericsson T610 - works with SMS function
Sony Ericsson T630 - works with SMS function

Have you tried BluePhoneElite to send SMS via BlueTooth? It may work even though Address Book doesn't.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 06:15 PM

Motorola v620 - does not work with SMS function (Or any other fancy function in AddressBook).

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 07:49 PM

Can we say it's a SE only feature? I don't hope so...

Thanks for your replies. I really think this feature is under covered: once you have used it you won't want to go back! Maybe sending SMS is not that widely used in the States though? I have no clue about that.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by IEEE1394
Have you tried BluePhoneElite to send SMS via BlueTooth? It may work even though Address Book doesn't.
According to their compatibility list the Symbian UIQ phones do not work with their product.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 06:40 AM

Sony Ericsson Z1010: Does not work with SMS function (works fine with iSync)

Forum Links
Forum Rules