Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac VS. Power Mac G5?

Intel iMac VS. Power Mac G5?
GarrettStewie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 08:04 PM

I have an Intel iMac 20" 2GHz 2GB RAM, but I kind of want something that is more upgradable. The Mac Pro is a bit out of my range, but the Power Mac G5 seems a bit more reasonable. Would there be a noticible difference in speed? I love my Intel mac because it's rather speedy, but I'm worried that going back to a PowerPC will slow me down... Any suggestions?

-garrettstewie
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

"Great minds discuss IDEAS. Average minds discuss EVENTS. Small minds discuss PEOPLE." - Eleanor Roosevelt

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2007, 08:12 PM

A machine with a core 2 duo is going to be faster than a dual processor G5 by far. A quad G5 may be slightly faster, but not much.

Cold Warrior
Jun 22, 2007, 08:32 PM

Intel is the future, especially with the quality iMac you have. You're taking a step back with the G5, unless there's some important upgrade you can only have with a tower system.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
A machine with a core 2 duo is going to be faster than a dual processor G5 by far. A quad G5 may be slightly faster, but not much.
You are mistaken, we've got Mac Pros and G5's at my company and the Dual G5s are faster than the current apple Consumer line, although slower but not much more than a 2.66 Mac Pro. Also, the 2.7 G5 is slightly faster than the mac pro at certain tasks and I'm not talking about PPC apps.

Although it wouldn't be so much a step back, I'd recommend holding off for some iMac upgrades, since their speeds and memory access will be increased and therefore outperform many PowerMac G5s.

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by GarrettStewie View Post
I have an Intel iMac 20" 2GHz 2GB RAM, but I kind of want something that is more upgradable. The Mac Pro is a bit out of my range, but the Power Mac G5 seems a bit more reasonable. Would there be a noticible difference in speed? I love my Intel mac because it's rather speedy, but I'm worried that going back to a PowerPC will slow me down... Any suggestions?

-garrettstewie
What exactly to you want to upgrade?

On the iMac, you can upgrade RAM and the HD (external, or even internal with a little work). Clearly, you aren't interested in a processor upgrade. I just don't see how you are limited by the iMac.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2007, 10:08 PM

new imacs are said to be out next month with a new design. i would wait for them.

GarrettStewie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by roller View Post
What exactly to you want to upgrade?

On the iMac, you can upgrade RAM and the HD (external, or even internal with a little work). Clearly, you aren't interested in a processor upgrade. I just don't see how you are limited by the iMac.
The limitation I face is the ammount of Hard Drives I am permitted. With a Power Mac, I could have up to four, but with my iMac I am forced to use things like Firewire and USB enclosures to get more space.

"Great minds discuss IDEAS. Average minds discuss EVENTS. Small minds discuss PEOPLE." - Eleanor Roosevelt

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 11:57 PM

and whats wrong with that? external drives are selling for rather cheap now anyway. i picked up a 400gb fw/usb lacie drive the other day for 129 bucks.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

GarrettStewie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
and whats wrong with that? external drives are selling for rather cheap now anyway. i picked up a 400gb fw/usb lacie drive the other day for 129 bucks.
1. Slower speeds
2. Nosier
3. Generally insufficient cooling for were I live (The summers here are rather brutal on my hardware)
4. I hate having extra little things dangling about my workspace

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by tiger View Post
You are mistaken, we've got Mac Pros and G5's at my company and the Dual G5s are faster than the current apple Consumer line, although slower but not much more than a 2.66 Mac Pro. Also, the 2.7 G5 is slightly faster than the mac pro at certain tasks and I'm not talking about PPC apps.

Although it wouldn't be so much a step back, I'd recommend holding off for some iMac upgrades, since their speeds and memory access will be increased and therefore outperform many PowerMac G5s.
In my experience similarly equipped mac pros were far faster than quad G5's. I'm talking about usage in final cut studio, after effects, and various other video related applications, and just in general tasks. Also the difference I noticed between dual G5 towers and intel imacs was enough so that I'd rather have an intel imac.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 02:08 AM

The limitation I face is the ammount of Hard Drives I am permitted. With a Power Mac, I could have up to four, but with my iMac I am forced to use things like Firewire and USB enclosures to get more space.
Correction, with the PowerMac you are limited to only 2 hard drives, unless you buy a 3rd party internal expansion bracket. By that point, you could get a much more elegant external RAID solution for your iMac and stick with the faster, more modern machine.

With the rate at which Apple develops and optimizes new software, I wouldn't go back to a PPC unless I absolutely had to.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
In my experience similarly equipped mac pros were far faster than quad G5's. I'm talking about usage in final cut studio, after effects, and various other video related applications, and just in general tasks. Also the difference I noticed between dual G5 towers and intel imacs was enough so that I'd rather have an intel imac.
Well Altivec is still much faster on the G5s, and I do agree, Quads were sluggish and the difference in speed is noticeably faster on the Mac Pros but the G5s were pretty descent machines and I've got an Intel iMac as well as a MacBook Pro and the G5s are still faster albeit the Mac Pros are even faster, mostly in filtering/rendering. Good Stuff.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2007, 04:25 AM

The very first thing to do is take the Photoshop Speed test with your iMac here:

http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...configuration/

Then compare to the Quad G5 Results in the thread. My quad G5 is 65 seconds for the test, and it is pretty maxed (8GB of RAM), but still using CS2.

Please post your test results and further thoughts on that thread and this one... the test should help clarify where you want to go.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2007, 04:36 AM

Also, take a look here as an example:

eBay: Apple Power Mac G5 2.5 Quad - 10.5GB RAM 1TB HD AppCare (item 320129314955 end time Jun-26-07 15:28:09 PDT)

This is a blazing machine at about $1700 delivered (if you are lucky).

By the time you add the cost of a good monitor though, you could get a loaded 24inch iMac, probably a bit faster and a with Apple care. I think I would go for the iMac. Or just get a minimal Mac Pro and upgrade the RAM as you can afford to. What's your budget anyway?

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 12:48 PM

That's a pretty good deal, I would get the G5 quad at that price though instead of the iMac, I have and iMac and it really isn't a desktop machine.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2007, 11:31 PM

Ram also has a big effect on it, correct me if I am wrong, but the ability to fit 16GB of RAM is going to beat the max of 2 or 3 of the iMacs.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger View Post
Ram also has a big effect on it, correct me if I am wrong, but the ability to fit 16GB of RAM is going to beat the max of 2 or 3 of the iMacs.
Agreed, and the faster access to that ram as well. Wider Bus, better graphics, faster HD's. iMac has a 1.5gb while the PowerMac, Mac Pro got 3gb/s HDs.

OreoCookie
Jun 24, 2007, 12:08 AM

The graphics is not necessarily better, the fastest graphics card in an iMac is a GeForce 7600 GT which is considerably faster than the stock graphics card in a G5. Even the 7300 GT which is standard on all but the 17" model is the same as the stock graphics card on the Mac Pro.

The harddrives on both machines are the same, although you can only exchange the iMac's harddrive for another whereas you can add a second internal harddrive to your G5 (or more if you buy harddrive brackets). iMacs support up to 3 GB, but I guess that'll change in the next revision (up to 4 GB). More than 6 GB of RAM is useful only in certain extraordinary situations, but by then, you are better off with a Mac Pro anyway.

Now back to the OP's question: I think this would actually be a step backwards in your specific case. You can add additional storage via FireWire/USB (FireWire is still considerably faster than USB, especially FireWire 800) and a second screen. BTW, you cannot upgrade a G5's cpu. Also, you don't want to spend an arm and a leg to upgrade the G5 until it is finally faster than your iMac (fast graphics card, additional harddrives, screens, etc.) … If you really need expandability and upgradeability, start saving for a Mac Pro (you can upgrade the cpus again).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 12:42 PM

Don't even dream of going backward to legacy G5 hardware. Save for a Mac Pro.

-Allen Wicks

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 03:53 PM

I agree that you should not think about going backwards technologically, instead save up for a mac pro. But if you cannot get a mac pro and only have a choice of a quad G5 and intel iMac I think I'd go for the Quad g5 since it'll still be a very good computer for a few years. I never use computer for more than a few years since they get terribly slow and eventually the PPC will go unsupported by everyone but apple. Get a Mac Pro they are good machines, also I warn against the X1900 Xt... heating problems and screen tears.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2007, 04:26 PM

The G5 will last a lot longer than the iMac, it is a durable machine, look at the people still using quicksilvers, look in magazines how PowerMacs are always way more upgradeable than the iMacs. It will last longer, and will stand up to upgrades over the next few years.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 08:44 AM

Already Intel-only apps are showing up. The G5s are not simply older towers, they are a previous entirely different tech generation. Stick with what you have as long as possible, then move to MacIntel. Forget G5.

-Allen Wicks

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 02:12 AM

The Quad G5 mentioned above sold for 2500$.

Even with that huge amount of RAM, I wonder if it was worth that much, or if this price was just a result of bidding fever.

GarrettStewie, you never mentioned what applications you want to run. You only expressed a need for speed.

GarrettStewie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
The Quad G5 mentioned above sold for 2500$.

Even with that huge amount of RAM, I wonder if it was worth that much, or if this price was just a result of bidding fever.

GarrettStewie, you never mentioned what applications you want to run. You only expressed a need for speed.
Well not necessarily a NEED for speed... I was just wondering if I would notice a massive difference in speed or not. The main need was additional storage, as my iMac can only hold one drive at a time

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 10:45 AM

1. Slower speeds
2. Nosier
3. Generally insufficient cooling for were I live (The summers here are rather brutal on my hardware)
4. I hate having extra little things dangling about my workspace
I have an external hard drive and it's just as fast as my internal using FW800 (I tested it inside my MacPro and in the enclosure where it lives now), is silent, and doesn't get hot. Cost me $99 for the enclosure and $59 for a 250GB SATA drive. Great deal.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 AM

Don't go the G5 route for the reasons above!

I'd buy external storage:
1. Slower speeds - what do you need "super speeds" for? Exernals can be v. competitive?!
2. Nosier - debatable, depends on make/model, extra imac heat would create more fan noise anyway.
3. Generally insufficient cooling for were I live (The summers here are rather brutal on my hardware) - fair enough, personally I'd rather have extra heat away from the iMac and in an external enclosure.
4. I hate having extra little things dangling about my workspace - cable through hole in desk to hard drive hidden away/mounted under desk/etc? Or just super sexy external enclosure perhaps?

Forum Links
Forum Rules