Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Tower problems

G4 Tower problems
glokplopit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 03:56 AM

Hi all,

I've been trying to help a friend of mine with problems with his two G4 towers. One of them has a superdrive, the other one doesn't. The one without the superdrive wont do anything period. It's strange, but the power button lights up and all, but the monitor never turns on. I tried hooking up another monitor in case that was the problem, but still I get nothing.

The one with the superdrive has not started since he tried to install Os 10.4 on it. I tried reinstalling the operating system on it, but now it just goes to the gray screen and loads forever. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong with either of these or what I could try to fix them? Thanks in advance.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 04:48 AM

There are a lot of G4 tower veterans around here who can offer a lot of great troubleshooting ideas. The first thing that comes to mind is resetting the PMU. Since I'm not a G4 expert I'll point you to Apple's G4 tech support page.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kick52
Baninated
Jun 28, 2006, 08:29 AM

it seems like he didnt install the new firmware before os x, thus screwing it up.

glokplopit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 03:13 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses! Where can I find the firmware that I would need? Do you think if I installed the firmware on it now it would fix it?

glokplopit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 10:20 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas? In particular, what should I do about the g4 whose monitor stays black? It seems like it works just fine, but the monitors I plug into it never turn on. Is this some sort of internal problem with a card or something?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 11:08 AM

The firmware is at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068 . The black monitor could be a kernel panic caused by bad RAM among other things ( bad HD possibly).

Forum Links
Forum Rules