Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Nissan 350z!

The Nissan 350z!
Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2001, 06:08 AM

I've been interested in this car since the 1999 Detroit Auto Show. Any other fans of the Nissan Z cars? What are your thoughts on the aesthetics and/or supposed handling characteristics (of the 350z)?

From some angles it looks funky, but from others I think it looks damn nice!

(You can see the car at nissandriven.com as well as in the Dec. '01 Road & Track and Jan. '02 (?!) Car and Driver)

260-280 HP from a naturally aspirated six for < $30,000. It's no R35 GTR, but it'll do!

Discuss:

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 06:16 AM

Even if the Z looks a little funky and isn't exactly the best performing mid-range sports car I've seen, I'm very happy to see the revival of the Japanese sports car market.

Hopefully, the Z will sell, and Toyota will follow up and reintrouduce an updated Supra. The RX-8 is trash, though. The Skyline would also be awesome if it came to the United States.

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2001, 06:22 AM

you also might want to check out www.z.com

I drove a friends Z whilst in Chicago. The roads south and into Indiana are really crap but still managed to get up to approx. 220km/h without too much effort. The steering is a little light, and the interior is definitely more suited to the smaller-framed, but otherwise not bad.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 10:26 AM

Nice, but I live in Canada. When the first of the current Imprezas come back from leasing, in 2 years time, I'm looking into a used one (hopefully a wagon.) Best real world sports-car available in NA.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 10:27 AM

I'm gettin' a new car next year, but it'll probably be Fall. Gotta pay off the last of my SBA loan, first.

Those Z's look nice, but Im currently lusting after one of these:

I've got a customer with one, and I got a pretty good look, although I haven't driven one.

Reliability wise, you can't beat a Nissan, though except maybe with a Toyota. Those new Spiders look pretty nice, too.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2001, 12:18 PM

I'm gettin' a new car next year, but it'll probably be Fall. Gotta pay off the last of my SBA loan, first.

I've got a customer with one, and I got a pretty good look, although I haven't driven one.

Reliability wise, you can't beat a Nissan, though except maybe with a Toyota. Those new Spiders look pretty nice, too.

CV
\
The Audi TT!!! The most beautiful car I've ever seen. Good taste Chris V![/LIST]
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2001, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>I'm gettin' a new car next year, but it'll probably be Fall. Gotta pay off the last of my SBA loan, first.

CV</STRONG>
Sweet car. Possibly the sweetest. A friend of the family has one and let me hop in it and whip it around the country backroads around here. Handling like you wouldn't believe........That Quatttro system is god, never once did I think I was pushing the car too much and I was still being exposed to many a force as I turned an accelerated. Its got plenty of power from the 5-valve Turbo 4, and turbo-lag is almost un-noticable.

If only I had the money.........

(P.S. Old "Z" cars are waaay better, like the 300ZX)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 02:26 PM

I'm just happy we're beginning to see an influx of sports cars on the market.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 04:00 PM

<STRONG>I'm gettin' a new car next year, but it'll probably be Fall. Gotta pay off the last of my SBA loan, first.

CV</STRONG>

Good choice. Nissan makes a fine car from Japan, but I'd take an Audi or BMW over anything coming out of Japan any day of the week.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>Nice, but I live in Canada. When the first of the current Imprezas come back from leasing, in 2 years time, I'm looking into a used one (hopefully a wagon.) Best real world sports-car available in NA.</STRONG>

thats makes the two of us there. especially the WRX kind!

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2001, 07:00 PM

I like the Z,but it's funny that a pic of a Audi TT is in this thread,I really think they look a lot alike,at least in pictures.
Maybe in real live they are going to be more different.
I don't think the new Z comes even close to the original one,btw,the 240/260 is far better looking,imho!
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 23, 2001, 08:41 PM

I like the Z,but it's funny that a pic of a Audi TT is in this thread,I really think they look a lot alike,at least in pictures.
Maybe in real live they are going to be more different.
It's funny because I was thinking the same thing. The Z looks very inspired by the TT design.

Mike

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>

It's funny because I was thinking the same thing. The Z looks very inspired by the TT design.

Mike</STRONG>
the TT and Z look a bit effeminate for my tastes..the more streamlined they become the more they look like a chicks car.

just look at it, it doesnt look much different than a celica, and that we know is soooo feminine

-------------------------------------------------------
compared to this:

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: FulcrumPilot ]
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2001, 01:05 PM

Since Subarus are always kinda funky and out there in their styling, I thought it'd be interesting to se a two door wagon from them. Not really a hatch back, but a two door wagon/coupe hybrid with porportions in the vein of those old Volvo P1800's and the old VW polo 2 door wagon.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

iBabo
Senior User
Dec 25, 2001, 04:19 AM

everyone knows the europeans make the best sports cars...
about the Z's
a friend of mine has a 300ZX, its soo nice, hes got a huge spoiler on it too....too bad its automatic
smile like you mean it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2001, 07:42 AM

Do you guys think there will be a large aftermarket for the 350Z?

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2001, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by iBabo:

<STRONG>... a friend of mine has a 300ZX, its soo nice, hes got a huge spoiler on it too....too bad its automatic</STRONG>
Ouch!

For something completely different, I'm very much looking forward to the arrival of this.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2001, 01:02 AM

Attention seanyepez !!!!!!

You realize, of course, that the Skyline IS coming to America this April.

Rather than being branded as a Nissan it will be an Infiniti. The G35. Go to Infiniti.com and look under "Future Models" There is a whole presentation on it. (260 hp and torque, rear wheel drive). The only 2 bad things:
1) It's being branded as Infiniti and will carry a pricetag in the low to mid 30's (rather than the 22k or so it costs in Japan).
2) So far, they've only described a 5pd Automatic transmission though a 6 speed manual has been widely rumored to follow a few months later.

Disclaimer: I AM a European car snob. The balance and poise of a BMW cannot be quantified in dollars ("Hey, this Accord has more horsepower than a 325 but cost $8000 less" -- just doesn't capture the whole story. They don't even compare). The one exception (in my eyes, anyway) is the Skyline. So, check it out when its available (I know I'm going to take a test drive to see if they've watered it down too much with the luxo-infiniti treatment -- and forget about it unless they offer a stick.) However, it IS THE SAME VEHICLE THE BEGAN SELLING AS THE NEXT-GEN SKYLINE in Japan earlier this year.

Waiting with baited breath,

Krusty

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2001, 01:32 AM

The Audi TT and the new Z do look quite similar to me also. I think the Audi's a little better looking, but the Z should be a better car. The TT is nothing more than a different body over a VW Golf chassis, the same as the New Beetle, and the TT doesn't get very good reviews for handling in standard form from most of the enthusiast publications.

Do you know why Dolly Parton buys her bras at the Nissan dealer's? Because it's the only place she can get a 300Z!

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 26, 2001, 01:40 AM

I think the new one looks like complete horseshit.

I think that every designer at GM should be executed. And whoever penned the new Z should be raped and have his hands chopped off.

YECH.

- Ca$h

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 04:14 PM

the tt is sweet, but have you sat in one? the windshield is small and far out in front of you, visibility is awkward at best - like driving from the back of a tunnel. convertible would be nice, if you like convertibles. the wrx is fugly and small, but a nice performer.
and i thought i read the infiniti g35 gtr will follow the g35 in a few years with 300+ horsepower (twin turbo?), but more like 50-80k.
one post closer to five stars

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2001, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
<STRONG>

Ouch!

For something completely different, I'm very much looking forward to the arrival of this.</STRONG>

I'm looking forward to that, too! I sure hope that my 6'3" carcass can fit in one!

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Xtopolop  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2001, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Do you guys think there will be a large aftermarket for the 350Z?</STRONG>
I have a feeling there will be a large aftermarket for the 350z. The 300ZX is a cult car, with a very passionate following. The engine in the 350z is naturally aspirated, while the 300zx gets its 300 hp from a twin turbo. I don't know why, but I think people will be interested in putting a twin turbo on this car as well. This is just speculation though...

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Xtopolop:
<STRONG>

I have a feeling there will be a large aftermarket for the 350z.</STRONG>
you know stillen will be all over it.
one post closer to five stars

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 01:11 PM

Hmm

The convertible 350Z might look a lot like a Mazda Miata/Honda S2000 cross-breeding. Not ugly, but not exactly pretty either.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: TNproud2b ]
*empty space*

Thunderbird
Senior User
Dec 27, 2001, 02:08 PM

CV</STRONG>
The Audi TT is nothing more than a Volkswagon Beetle with slightly different styling and a $20,000 higher pricetag.

Merkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2001, 02:18 PM

i have a 1985 300zx turbo. I love my car. I'd like to get a new 350z, but considering I'm poor and in college, that's not exactly an option. i'm the second owner of my 300zx, so it's in awesome condition. gonna keep this car forever

Xtopolop  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2001, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>

you know stillen will be all over it.</STRONG>
Yea, stillen and Jim Wolf Technology will definitely cater to the 350z.

Forum Links
Forum Rules