Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A picture of your dinner!

A picture of your dinner!
tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 09:54 AM

yummy - cooked to perfection!

Post a picture of YOUR dinner!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2003, 10:05 AM

That meat's looking a little overcooked there.

I'd post a picture, but I can't find any online. I had a tombstone stuffed-crust, 3-meat pizza. Pretty crappy dinner, but it was followed by heavy drinking with friends, so it's all good (except for the part where we had to carry my one friend home and her roommate had to stay up to make sure she was ok . Oh, and did I mention it's single digit temperatures Farenheit outside? Who'd have thought it would take three people to carry one tall, but small asian girl a block and a half...).

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2003, 10:41 AM

The meat and sauce:

The mushrooms and onions:

Yum

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 10:51 AM

mmmmm.... good old American steak... YOU GO GIRL!!!... yumyumyum
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2003, 06:33 PM

First time in over a year.

I'm seriously not a fast food person. Very rare. Just was in the mood today. Funny, but when you don't have it much, it's actually pretty damn good.

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2003, 07:46 PM

Well just pretend I slapped up a pic of some Taco Bueno, my digital camera isn't with me.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
yummy - cooked to perfection!

Post a picture of YOUR dinner!
That is a little too rare for me, too much blood. For health reasons its not been cooked enough, remember ecoli!

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
That is a little too rare for me, too much blood. For health reasons its not been cooked enough, remember ecoli!
E-coli? This is Australian beef. Maybe in America where 84% of the cattle are slaughtered by just 4 meatpacking firms (ConAgra, IBP, Excel and National Beef) in 13 packing houses, there is more of a big risk... especially when you consider that a McDonalds burger can contain beef from hundreds of different cattle, and that the meatpacking companies have so much political power that the US govt. can order a nationwide recall of defective softball bats, but it can't order a meatpacking company to remove contaminated, potentially lethal beef from fast food kitchens/supermarkets, thanks to the sizable 'donations' the meatpackers make to Republican members of Congress.

I have > 99% confidence that my steak is E-coli free. Of course, if I was to eat 'untraceable' steak in the US (i.e. I didn't know that it was organic steak farmed with traditional methods), there is no way I would eat it rare.

[Source: Eric Schlosser, Fast Food Nation]

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 09:30 PM

E. Coli isn't a big risk in cuts of meat, it's ground beef that is risky. The bacteria doesn't get inside the meat, so as long as the outside of your cut is heated enough, it'll be safe.

The problem with ground beef is that the outsides and the insides become one and the same- it's been all mixed up since the processing plant. The little buggers get all sorts of great places to grow.

I eat my burgers well done, but steak is medium rare- I like it warm, but still pink. I wouldn't eat an undercooked burger no matter what continent I was on.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
E. Coli isn't a big risk in cuts of meat, it's ground beef that is risky. The bacteria doesn't get inside the meat, so as long as the outside of your cut is heated enough, it'll be safe.

The problem with ground beef is that the outsides and the insides become one and the same- it's been all mixed up since the processing plant. The little buggers get all sorts of great places to grow.

I eat my burgers well done, but steak is medium rare- I like it warm, but still pink. I wouldn't eat an undercooked burger no matter what continent I was on.
yeah - the book is mainly concerned with ground beef (minced beef in UK/Australia - I think they are the same).

You can buy a mincer and have it at home. Home made burgers with home made steak mince are absolutely delicious, pink in the middle.

One thing I should research, is the other problems with red meat. I have a history of heart problems (to be specific, I had a coarctation of the aorta, which has been fixed when I was 5, but I still have mild pulmonary stenosis that they didn't think was worth fixing... my Dad has had 2 heart attacks and a valve replacement). I know red meat isn't supposed to be great for your arteries or something, does having it rare make it even worse. It's only recently that I have started considering what I eat from a 'health' point of view. How many servings of red meat a week is recommended? Any doctors in the house?!

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by hugi:
The meat and sauce:

what are the things on the left (that look like pastry with mustard on). Did you wrap the whole lot of food up in them, or just the meat, and then bake them or what? It seems like we didn't get the whole story!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jan 12, 2003, 09:59 PM

last night:

this afternoon:

and yes, i'm still pissed
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Sealobo
Jan 12, 2003, 10:06 PM

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 10:09 PM