Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Very Freaky Font crops up in Camino!

Very Freaky Font crops up in Camino!
mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 11:24 PM

I'm getting a very weird font in Camino (Chimera Navigator) on a lot of webpages that I don't have set in the prefs, or the Tinkertool system prefs or my silk prefs. In fact I don't think it's really even a font at all, but more of a rendering error. I don't recognize it from any of my font downloading and I don't see it in my font folders, and it just looks like a mistake to me. I see it here and there on lots of unrelated pages that I visit all the time and I don't see it in Safari ever. I still see it if I set all my font prefs everywhere to Lucida so I don't see how it could be some font thing I have done. I have even downloaded new versions of Camino. Has anyone seen anything like this on their computer in Camino?

This is a screencapture of what it looks like very enlarged.....

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 02:36 AM

You have a font conflict. Basically, you have to remove half your fonts, log out, log back in, check it. remove half again, until you figure out which font is giving the problem.

I don't know of an easier way around it. One thing I can tell you is that mine had nothing to do with the font that looked messed up (arial) it was a different font that was causing the problem.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
You have a font conflict. Basically, you have to remove half your fonts, log out, log back in, check it. remove half again, until you figure out which font is giving the problem.

I don't know of an easier way around it. One thing I can tell you is that mine had nothing to do with the font that looked messed up (arial) it was a different font that was causing the problem.

Cool! Which font was doing it for you! Maybe I will start with that one and get lucky!

daftpig
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2003, 10:02 AM

Maybe I'm weird. But I think that error does make an interesting font...

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by daftpig:
I was thinking the same thing

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
I was thinking the same thing

I kinda thought so too, which is why I have been living with it for a few weeks, but I just went thru all the fonts in my folder as the post above suggested and found out which one it was.... and the answer is.... EcoFiles.TTF a font that I don't remember ever using or even having heard of. I think I do remember seeing a font that looked kinda like the error I was seeing, in fact it may have been based on it, but I don't remember where I saw it now. I don't have that font bug anymore in Camino though... nor in Explorer where I also saw it today when I started it up for the first time in months.

Russian Mac fan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 11:20 PM

How do you remove a font if you don't mind my asking?

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Russian Mac fan:
How do you remove a font if you don't mind my asking?

They are in the /Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts and ~home/Library/Fonts folders. Just grab them and drag them out of the folders into a safe place in case you want them later, or into the trash if you are foolish or absolutely sure. Then restart or logout and they are gone! Don't take LucidaGrande out of the System folder though or you will experience terrible difficulties starting up.

And if you get into downloading hundreds of supercool free fonts from the internet they go into the home fonts folder. And don't be fooled by fonts that say they are for PC's because OSX uses them just fine. Just don't use font's with the initials MS in the name because they are actually created by Micro$oft and you will be worshipping the Devil just by using them. :-]

Russian Mac fan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2003, 01:23 AM

Thank you much, fellow Michigander!

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by daftpig:

I found the font that looks a LOT like the error that I was getting.... in fact I think that it must be based on that type of error! It's called EcoFiles and it's available here...
http://www.acidfonts.com/e1.htm

anoetic
May 10, 2003, 11:32 PM

You may want to use Font Doctor in the future. It allows you to check for and fix font ID conflicts and a host of other font problems.

http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html

Phoenix1701
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 02:37 AM

I think there's a slightly more logical solution -- I think that font was substituting itself in for a system font because of conflicting font IDs or some such nonsense. If you look closely at the "error", there's no way that could possibly be done by the computer, because the computer has no concept of perpendicular lines. It would have no reason to break the "t" just above the crossbar, for example, because there's nothing special about that point as far as it's concerned (not to mention it would increase the number of closed paths in the font, which would be mind-bogglingly complex to do on the fly!) Still, that's a nifty font.

Forum Links
Forum Rules