Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Attn: backup experts. Need advice on moving files and apps to new system

Attn: backup experts. Need advice on moving files and apps to new system
Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 12:17 AM

Old computer: iMac DVSE
New computer: Dual 1.25 GB G4

Backing up OS X seems much more complicated than backing up OS 9. I'm intimidated by the process. In OS 9, you could easily back up via the Finder. But in OS X, there are permissions to respect, invisible UNIX folders to be copied, and the fanatical intractability of the short username of your Home folder. You just can't change it without messing everything up.

I want to move most of my iMac files, folders, and applications via Firewire mode to the G4, but I don't want to clone the entire system.

I want to transfer the /Library folder, /Applications folder, and my home folder successfully without having to clone the system. I don't want to have to reinstall my apps, and I don't want to have permission issues or problems with apps not launching.

Also, what invisible UNIX folders should I copy over? Should I copy over any of these folders: bin, private, sbin, usr, .hidden?

My plan was to partition the G4, re-install OS X, create a user account with the same name as my user account on the iMac. Then I want to copy over the above folders, overwriting the existing ones.

Will this work? And which is the best app for this?

Tri-Backup, Deja Vu, Carbon Copy Cloner, or Retrospect? Or will any of these do the job via Firewire target mode?
( Last edited by Spliff; Jun 27, 2003 at 12:41 AM. )

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 02:30 PM

Anyone?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I want to move most of my iMac files, folders, and applications via Firewire mode to the G4, but I don't want to clone the entire system.
Why not? It works great - use Carbon Copy Cloner.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Why not? It works great - use Carbon Copy Cloner.
Well, will a dualie G4 even boot from a system cloned from an older slot-load iMac?

OS 9 always had files specific to the type of machine that you're running. Doesn't OS X have the same? I don't want to clone a system that the dual rig can't boot from. Plus, why clone a whole system (risking problems) if I only need to copy over my home folders, applications folder, and library folder.

I'm just worried that it won't work because of all the UNIX invisible files, symbolic links, and permissions stuff.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:04 AM

You don't have to clone the entire system w/ Carbon Copy Cloner. You can select, to some extent, the portion of the drive you want to back up.

Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:51 AM

If you don't want to us Carbon Copy Cloner, you can do what I have done before CCC came about.

I install OS X on the new system, get it all updated, then I copy over all the items from my old user directory into the new one. I also copy over the library at the root of the drive, along with the old applications.

If you do it right, with everything working with the same versions as before, it will work.

things like Mail are stored in your user library btw

but really, CCC is the best option.. I am about to use it to copy a temporary system install over to my primary HD after I reformat it (it's busted, it won't boot any OS I put on it), really, it makes what took me hours only about a half hour.

Oh, and ya, there is an option in CCC to make your cloned install bootable. The symbolic links and all that *nix stuff will work fine, it gets the important hidden directories , and files (like var, or the kernel).

Forum Links
Forum Rules