Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wireless Internet in Chicago area

Wireless Internet in Chicago area
anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 11:13 PM

I'm moving from the Twin Cities to Chicago in the next few weeks. I have become accustomed to the free wireless internet at Dunn Brothers, a local coffee shop chain. Is there any place in the Chicago area where I can get wireless access for free like this? I know some Starbucks have it, but I heard you have to pay... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 12:30 AM

None, zero, nada.

Not even the Pub Library. Some of the major hotels have WiFi but I don' t think they'd let you sit in the lobby too long. O'Hare has tons of networks but I don't know if they are free. DePaul, Loyola, and NU have it but its student ID accessed. Lots of office buildings have it and if you have loose morals on the subject I am sure not all of them are locked down. And same goes with residential areas.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find a coffee shop in Wicker park or someplace like that. But otherwise, no.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 12:38 AM

Starbucks has it. If you can wait a bit McDonalds is supposed to have it soon.

Or you could just move to the apartment above me. I have a wireless-G connection, and i'll make you coffee for $5 a cup. No problem.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 12:20 PM

Why are you leaving the beautiful Twin Cities for Chicago? Must be job related ...
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
Why are you leaving the beautiful Twin Cities for Chicago? Must be job related ...
Because the Twin Cities are just a larger version of Des Moines, IA. Someone built a city and forgot there weren't enough people to live there. Everyone is from the burbs out there. Plus you guys have like a 1 AM bar time and water down your beer.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

wingdo
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:
I'm moving from the Twin Cities to Chicago in the next few weeks. I have become accustomed to the free wireless internet at Dunn Brothers, a local coffee shop chain. Is there any place in the Chicago area where I can get wireless access for free like this? I know some Starbucks have it, but I heard you have to pay... Any help is greatly appreciated.
If you move out to Oak Park (10 miles due west of the loop), Poor Phil's (a local tavern / rest.) has free WiFi.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Because the Twin Cities are just a larger version of Des Moines, IA. Someone built a city and forgot there weren't enough people to live there. Everyone is from the burbs out there. Plus you guys have like a 1 AM bar time and water down your beer.
I don't quite understand your comparison to the 15th Largest metro area in the country to the 91st. Its a tough sell. Almost 3 million people to less than 500,000???? Someone built a city and forgot there weren't enough people to live there? Are you talking about Mpls, St. Paul, a suburb? Specify please. Have you ever looked at a Chicago map and noticed how many 'burbs there are? And, bar time was just pushed to 2am, Link .

And i love Chicago, its a great place. Was just there less than a month ago.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 10:14 PM

Try the Panera Bread in Aurora...free WiFi.
Others might have it now...not sure.

Worth a try though.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:

Is there any place in the Chicago area where I can get wireless access for free like this?
I have found that a lot of people don't encrypt or close their own WiFi network where I'm located. In my building, I get my Internet for free from my choice of four people that always have an available network. I wonder if they know that I sponge off them? I'm by North and Clark in a highrise.

marusin
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 09:24 AM

very interesting.. I live right down the street from there... Will have to check it out!

Originally posted by cacarr1:
Try the Panera Bread in Aurora...free WiFi.
Others might have it now...not sure.

Worth a try though.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 11:23 PM

I found 16 wireless networks within 2 blocks down near Congress St.

Enjoy... that what i am gonna do at college..just hOOr other peoples lines
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Forum Links
Forum Rules