Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CAN I use Mail app. without having an ISP provider?

CAN I use Mail app. without having an ISP provider?
historylme
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2003, 10:57 PM

by luck, I moved into a house that has DSL (shared with 3 other people).... it's awesome.

But I want to use the apple mail application. I don't want to get a provider like earthlink or that sort.

Is there an on line place where I can sign up and get the address, dns server and mail.server numbers for free?

cheers

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 12:39 AM

Try doing a search on a search engine for "free pop mail."
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

historylme  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 05:25 AM

I'll do that... I just notice your ibook is the same config as mine, except, I don't have a combo drive.... I now hope to install one or buy an external one.

Goog going, next time, I'll get the works from the start.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Sep 14, 2003, 02:18 PM

your dsl provider probably includes a certain number of pop mail accounts with the monthly subscription. since you're probably putting in on the dsl connection, you might as well use the pop mail service.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules