Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I sit here in joy on my new 12"

I sit here in joy on my new 12"
videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 06:25 PM

ordered on the 23rd, recieved today with my airport card which I installed myself..

wish my ram woulda made it

there's always tomorrow

very nice machine

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 06:35 PM

Congratulations. =)

My 15" arrived last Thursday, been using it all weekend. Installed my AE card and more RAM before I powered it up the first time, hehe.

It's been a long time since a piece of hardware has made me happy just using it.

I'll agree, all the new PowerBooks are nice machines.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 06:36 PM

Congratulations!

Did it came installed w/ 10.2.6 or 10.2.8?

regards

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 06:39 PM

Run some tests, what games play nice on it...give us the juicy info.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 07:02 PM

Very cool...did you play w/ the 867Mhz 12" PB before? Seem a lot faster?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 07:14 PM

it came with 10.2.7

it seems faster than my old 17" pb (i think)

512mb ram to add tomorrow

iohead
Sep 29, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
ordered on the 23rd, recieved today with my airport card which I installed myself..

wish my ram woulda made it

there's always tomorrow

very nice machine
Surprised that nobody brought this up yet ...

How much do you weigh? ;-)

(Sorry ... couldn't help it!)

Enjoy your new machine.

-A

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 08:32 PM

you lost me there

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 08:32 PM

just did my first calibration, says 2:50 min on lowest power and half screen brightness

nothing happening but me surfing the web

Draco
Sep 29, 2003, 11:57 PM

this was not a BTO order was it? If so I'd be pissed

Enjoy.

hexcalibur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 12:16 AM

you lost me there
I suspect iohead was intrigued by your original title. If you'd said "I'm typing this WITH my new 12" powerbook" there'd be less scope for weight jokes.

God, nothing slaughters a joke like an explanation. And this one was in the ICU already (no offense, iohead).

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 04:54 AM

Congratulations. I'de like to buy a powerbook 12 myself. I've never owned a Powerbook before. Can you tell me about heat, noise and battery life ?

Those are my 3 main concerns since I still hesitate between an iBook (which I know is not noisy, not hot and last longer than a Powerbook) and a PowerBook. I'd like to be able to watch a movie in a train for example. I know it is possible on an iBook. Thank you!
S k y p a t

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:27 AM

Congrats on your new found joy. ^_^

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 09:18 AM

Heat as far as I have seen is absoloutly no problem, battery life looks to be around 3 hours (lowest performance, airport on, bluetooth off, just web surfing and half screen brightness) The fan has yet to come on or I hve not knowticed it, I hear the hard drive more than anything...tho not annoying by any respects.

I just wish the battery lasted longer.. my only test was right after I calibrated it for the first time, maybe it will improve
I just don't see how you could ever get the claimed 5 hours out of it

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 10:05 AM

Lower the screen some more, maybe all the way leaving 1 square for brightness and turn your airport off.

If i need the juice i turn the screen ALL the way down, sometimes just touch type so i don't need the screen.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 02:39 PM

it's sad that you need to do that

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 02:49 PM

Heh, well...I caved in. I bought a new 1Ghz 12" PB on a price mistake (great deal) at my college, and intended on selling it...well, I'm selling my 867Mhz 12" PB instead, hehehe, after I eat I'm about to crack open the box!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:55 PM

Congrats, AssassyN. Let us know what you think of the new PB compared to the 867.

-b

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 04:55 PM

and we all thought you would get a g5 first

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:22 PM

512 mb extra ram now installed definatly snappier

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 06:03 PM

512 mb extra ram now installed definatly snappier
Tell me about it

Hehe, just popped my 512MB SODIMM outta my Rev. A 12" PB and into my Rev. B 12" PB...wow, this thing rocks so far.

Two huge issues: NO STICKY TRACKPAD, very solid clicks, very nice not to have this problem anymore, and another thing, WAY LESS HEAT! While doing FireWire transfer, Ethernet transfer, installing apps., and being plugged in, it merely gets "warm"...my Rev. A unit was always hotter than this unit is when under a heavy load.

I'm just now setting things up & getting files transferred, so I can't judge it's gaming performance, raw speed increase, etc., but it's safe to say it's definitely faster. The 512 L2 cache helps a bunch, and an additional 128MB of RAM probably aids as well...more impressions later!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

sworthy
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 06:22 PM

I don't know if you've ever used a 1GHz Tibook, but if so, any difference compared to that? I'm "downgrading" from a 1GHz TiBook w/ a gig of ram.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 06:28 PM

I've never owned a GigaBook, but played with them, and here's how they stack up...

The speed is exactly the same, and the 12" PB just might be a bit faster. Their front-side-bus speeds are identical, and so are their CPU clock speeds. The 12" PB has faster RAM *and* double the L2 cache which speeds things right along. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it's performance Just make sure you toss at least a 512MB RAM chip in there
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 06:33 PM

it's sad that you need to do that
I don't need to do it, i do it because i don't NEED the screen on while touch typing.

Just like you won't leave your speakers on if not listening to music.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I've never owned a GigaBook, but played with them, and here's how they stack up...

The speed is exactly the same, and the 12" PB just might be a bit faster. Their front-side-bus speeds are identical, and so are their CPU clock speeds. The 12" PB has faster RAM *and* double the L2 cache which speeds things right along. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it's performance Just make sure you toss at least a 512MB RAM chip in there
I couldn't tell much of a difference coming from my 1ghz TiBook w/ 1 gig of RAM to my new 12" with only 256MB (waiting till 1gb chip price goes down). I haven't done much intensive stuff, but overall it feels very similar.

AssassyN, nice to see you switched to the rev B. Maybe you can do a little comparison since most people seemed to be concerned with rev. A vs rev. B. And you seem to be the first to upgrade within the same form factor.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by schk:
I couldn't tell much of a difference coming from my 1ghz TiBook w/ 1 gig of RAM to my new 12" with only 256MB (waiting till 1gb chip price goes down). I haven't done much intensive stuff, but overall it feels very similar.

AssassyN, nice to see you switched to the rev B. Maybe you can do a little comparison since most people seemed to be concerned with rev. A vs rev. B. And you seem to be the first to upgrade within the same form factor.
Yeah, if the 1GIG RAM SODIMMs go down in price anytime soon, I'll upgrade...for now, 768MB works fine. I'm installing Unreal Tournament, SoF II, and maybe RtCW now and I'll try to type up a pretty good comparison between the Rev. A 12" PB and the Rev. B 12" PB as soon as I can
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
WAY LESS HEAT! While doing FireWire transfer, Ethernet transfer, installing apps., and being plugged in, it merely gets "warm"...my Rev. A unit was always hotter than this unit is when under a heavy load.
AssassyN: Thanks for the great Rev.A to Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook comparison. I really have to hold myself back from buying one of these new 12-inchers before I can afford it. I'm still tempted by the 15-inch, but the 12-inch is just a much better fit for me.

It's a bit disappointing that battery life hasn't been very good so far. The 15-inch's battery life is obviously bad, but I figured with that the 12-inch with the small screen and lower bus speed would do quite a bit better. I guess there are simply no miracles.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 09:13 PM

i am hearing that panther works miracles

Forum Links
Forum Rules