Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 450 (G4) only shows single processor in ASP. Why?

Dual 450 (G4) only shows single processor in ASP. Why?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 06:17 PM

A friend of a friend has an old Power Mac G4 that she's looking to sell. She's not very computer savvy, so all she could tell me was that it was a 450 Mhz G4. I can't look at it personally because she lives several hours away, but I asked her to send me the Apple System Profiler (OS 9.1 version) report.

She's not running OS X on it, only OS 9.1.

In the ASP report, it says this:

Hardware overview
Machine ID: 406
Model name: Power Mac G4
Keyboard type: Apple Pro Keyboard
Processor info: PowerPC G4
Machine speed: 450 MHz
Nanokernel version: 2.21
Nanokernel pool extends: 13
Nanokernel scheduled CPUs:1
uni-n: 8

That tells me it's a single processor G4. But the model number (M7892) indicates that it is a dual 450 Mhz G4 Power Mac.

Why isn't ASP showing this or does she have OS 9.1 improperly installed so that the dual processors aren't utilized? Looking at the list of extensions in the ASP report, I don't see any dual or multi-processor related extensions.
( Last edited by Spliff; Mar 7, 2004 at 06:23 PM. )

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 12:52 AM

Try having here upgrade to 9.2.x and see if the multi-processor extensions get installed. If not, have her clean install either 9.1 or 9.2. If that doesn't get it, I'm not sure what will. If the extensions aren't installed, though, ASP won't see the other processor.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 01:17 AM

PM sent

Forum Links
Forum Rules