Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Made the switch; Video editing question

Made the switch; Video editing question
tastethepain
Jul 5, 2004, 05:39 PM

I've been a hardcore Microsoft user since 1985. Everyone else was using WordPerfect and railing me about how great their hidden reveal codes were while I plugged along happily on MS Word 1.0---seeing Times Roman as Times Roman instead of "blue underline, yellow highlight."

Microsoft lost my love when I tried to get Premier working. After 3 different firewire cards and two PCs, I lost that loving feeling. The final straw was when my flimsy Dell laptop's backlight died and it developed a monster crack in the case.

I bought:

Powerbook 1.5GHz 15"
80g 5400 drive
Final Cut Express
512 meg single stick
(Crucial is in my backyard, so I'll prob get another 512 meg stick from them)

I'm hoping that's sufficient power for a long time. My wife won't let me have another Mac inside of 3 years. :-)

Now, I intend to use my Powerbook for video editing (have a Sony Digital8 camcorder).

Do I need an external firewire drive or an additional PCMCIA capture card? I'd like to be able to record back to my camcorder via 1394 OR my VCR via analog RCA. Purchase suggestions? Does one really need a firewire drive to keep up the data flow or will the internal drive work fine?

Many thanks,
Curtis

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 06:00 PM

I use my PowerBook for light DV editing but am currently building a dual G4 tower for more serious work (i.e., income-producing).

You will definitely want at least one external FW drive both for capacity and disk speed (7,200 rpm vs. 5,400 internal drive). Also, DV editing is pretty hard on a disk and you don't want to put your primary disk (whether desktop or laptop) through that on a regular basis.

Welcome to the Mac!
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 11:12 PM

the internal drive will do fine, even my ibook's 3200 rpm drive could keep up

but you will definitely want an external drive considering 1 hour of DV footage is 12 gigs approx.

you have firewire built in, which is what most digital video cameras use for interfacing.

you can even control the camera with final cut, very good intergration. not like when it first came out, vx-2000, and motoDV did not make a good combo.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules