Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dying ibook G3 700mH (because of Java 1.4.1/2???)

Dying ibook G3 700mH (because of Java 1.4.1/2???)
silva123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 04:30 AM

Today software updater downloaded and installed the new Java update (1.4.2 I think but I am not sure) available but my ibook has died in a similar fashion to those that died because of the Java 1.4.1 update. Screen just went blank completely (no back light no nothing, tried hooking it up to another monitor...nothing!!!). Now sometimes it will boot sometimes it won't. Managed to do a hardware test on it and everything came out fine (but I am sceptical). Now it makes 'booting' sounds but the screen is completely dead. I can make it sleep by pressing the power button and then 's' so I know something is going on back there but that is it. On a couple of occassions it has looked like it was starting up and then the screen starts flashing grey and run lines down the screen. What should I do? (yes of course it is out of warranty...sob(apple is good like that)).

silva

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 10:46 AM

sounds like a logic board failure?

maybe your machine is covered under the logic board program and they'll replace it.

kanikz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 08:05 AM

I had the exact same problem you did !

I have an ibook 700 mhz g3 too
''Screen just went blank completely (no back light no nothing, tried hooking it up to another monitor...nothing!!!). Now sometimes it will boot sometimes it won't. Managed to do a hardware test on it and everything came out fine (but I am sceptical). Now it makes 'booting' sounds but the screen is completely dead. I can make it sleep by pressing the power button and then 's' so I know something is going on back there but that is it. On a couple of occassions it has looked like it was starting up and then the screen starts flashing grey and run lines down the screen. What should I do? (yes of course it is out of warranty...sob(apple is good like that)).''

I did all you did , did you find a solution ? If so, please let me know !!
I tought my computer died coz I dropped it a couple of moths ago, is good to know Im not the only one with that issue.

I must say a friend of mine had exactly the same problem...so its not a coincidence, is this a known issue??

+ what is the logic board program ?
( Last edited by kanikz; Apr 3, 2004 at 10:30 AM. )
kanikz

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2004, 05:20 PM

silva123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 06:21 AM

Thankyou !! I took it in to my local mac store and they are going to replace the logic board free of charge (aside from the hourly rate)

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 10:29 AM

You are welcome, I'm glad you got your logic board replaced/fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules