Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CRT suggestion for MDD G4?

CRT suggestion for MDD G4?
lexicdark0725
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 03:44 PM

I have a MDD 1GHz G4 that needs a new CRT monitor. I'd like something with sharp and easy to read text because I write a lot of papers for college. I'm tired of looking at text that appears fuzzy and distorted. Brightness is another important concern.

Most companies that still sell CRT's don't display them in store, and if they do, they're hooked up to a computer showing a cheesy video loop.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,
Sean

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 05:33 PM

I have an NEC FE791SB, a 17" monitor that is very sharp and does high resolutions with an excellent refresh rate. It's fairly expensive and high-end, but worth it. There's also a 19" version, the FE991SB.

There are a number of others you can get - my suggestion would be to make sure you get one that can do 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of at least 75 Hz. Most cheap or low end ones can only do that resolution at 60-70 Hz, which isn't enough. Mine can do that resolution at 85 Hz. And make sure you get a good brand - don't cheap out in that category either. NEC/Mitsubishi, ViewSonic, and Samsung are all good choices. LaCie also makes some very nice high-end CRTs.

Could you give me a better idea of what you're looking at? Because there's a big range of what you can do - anything from cheap, 17" ones that cost $150, to high end 22" CRTs that cost many hundreds.
( Last edited by Luca Rescigno; Jul 28, 2004 at 05:40 PM. )

lexicdark0725  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 04:53 PM

Thanks for reply Luca Rescigno. I'm looking at purchasing a 17-inch and 19-inch CRT. The most important thing I need them for right now is sharp text. The other is a good brightness level, which is sometimes hard to find in cheaper CRT monitors. I'm in college, I write a lot of papers, and spend hours viewing what I've composed. I also do photo and video editing on the side for fun. I don't live in dorm, so I have plenty of space!

I've considered Dell's M993, IBM's C190, LaCie's 19", and some from Viewsonic as well. I haven't read a lot of good reviews about NEC/Mitsubishi CRTs from websites like www.ecoustics.com. Most people say they quit working at about a year or so!

Thanks again,
Sean

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 03:47 AM

I have a MDD G4 in my dorm room connected to an NEW accusync 95 and it is very bright. High resolutions (1920x1440) available, hasn't given me any problems. I also have an NEW multisync 97f and it is nearly identical to my monitor in school. Both are 19", flat screen, bright as anything, great CRT's.

york28
Senior User
Jul 30, 2004, 09:28 AM

If you don't mind spending a little more, I would say go with the Lacie Electron Blue 19"- you can find it around $350. It is one of the best CRT's available, ony being bested by monitors that cost much more such as the Sony Artisan.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Forum Links
Forum Rules