Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > No Surprise: Bush National Guard Accuser Ben Barnes 'Top Fundraiser' For Kerry

No Surprise: Bush National Guard Accuser Ben Barnes 'Top Fundraiser' For Kerry
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 10:52 AM

Heh. Surprise, surprise, eh? On Scary-Kerry's own web site, Barnes -- the guy currently known as the "Bush National Guard Accuser" -- is listed as a "Vice Chair $100,000 and up" fundraiser for the Kerry Campaign.

Of course, it's all just a coeenkidinky.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 11:05 AM

I say that GWB served honorably unless someone proves to me otherwise. Of course, the difference between him and Kerry is that he signed Form 180 which discloses all of his military documents AND he is not running with his service as the main qualification for his election.

Meanwhile, Kerry is running with his Vietnam service as the centerpiece of his campaign but has not agreed to full disclosure of his records. While I have no doubt that he served his country well in battle, including saving a life while in a war zone, I do question why he wouldn't release his records. And I certainly question his behavior after he returned from the war, accusing his brothers in arms of everything from rape to murder while they were still fighting "over there."

But as far as who accuses who and who gives to which campaign, I really don't care. The man has a right to his opinions.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Heh. Surprise, surprise, eh? On Scary-Kerry's own web site, Barnes -- the guy currently known as the "Bush National Guard Accuser" -- is listed as a "Vice Chair $100,000 and up" fundraiser for the Kerry Campaign.

Of course, it's all just a coeenkidinky.

Maury
And this automatically makes his charges false? Oh wait, it doesn't.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
And I certainly question his behavior after he returned from the war, accusing his brothers in arms of everything from rape to murder while they were still fighting "over there."
Aside from the fact that he didn't make those accusations first hand (he was relating what he others said), atrocities DID occur-they always occur in war.

http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=244

dcolton
Banned
Sep 8, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
You have to go back to the esteemed Lerkfish and his continual posts about the Swift Boat Veterans and how some of them are contributirs to the bush campaign...which, by the libs logic, meant that the accusations couldn't be true.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 12:48 PM

At least he's getting off his butt and doing something about his opposition to Bush.

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

dcolton
Banned
Sep 8, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
At least he's getting off his butt and doing something about his opposition to Bush.

BG
Lerkfish? I commend lerkfish for his posts and his dedication to Kerry and I appreciate his participation and ability to make people think. I have stated that many times before. I was just pointing out the irony.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 12:56 PM

It makes his charges false in exactly the same way that the Swifties' alleged ties make their charges false. Which is to say, not at all. However, it is interesting to note.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 01:00 PM

This is not surprising at all.

From what I have seen, the Swifties� have no connection to the Bush campaign. It is really funny to see the Hypocritical� dems in action tripping all over themselves.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:00 PM

Cripes, whose butt did you pull that from? I reread my post several times, and not once did I find anything that remotely suggested the story may not be true -- I simply stated that it's not surprising that the guy with the story is one of Kerry's biggest fundraisers.

Sheesh, who's knee-jerking now?

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

From what I have seen, the Swifties� have no connection to the Bush campaign. It is really funny to see the Hypocritical� dems in action tripping all over themselves.
Eh? Isn't their major source of funding also a major Republican contributor from Texas? I seem to recall that being the case... Yes, Bob Perry, it is the case.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
It makes his charges false in exactly the same way that the Swifties' alleged ties make their charges false. Which is to say, not at all. However, it is interesting to note.
The swiftie's ties didn't make their accusations false, it was the fact that they created their stories out of thin air that made them false. Their ties to the Bush campaign is just icing on the cake.

We have yet to see how this Barnes thing plays out.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:06 PM

Cripes, whose butt did you pull that from? I reread my post several times, and not once did I find anything that remotely suggested the story may not be true -- I simply stated that it's not surprising that the guy with the story is one of Kerry's biggest fundraisers.

Sheesh, who's knee-jerking now?

Maury
Please. What else would you be suggesting from the connection?

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Eh? Isn't their major source of funding also a major Republican contributor from Texas? I seem to recall that being the case... Yes, Bob Perry, it is the case.
I'm sure quite a few Republicans have contributed to the Swiftboat fund, as have others also I'm sure, but is that guy working for the Bush campaign or something ?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:09 PM

I'm sure quite a few Republicans have contributed to the Swiftboat fund, as have others also I'm sure, but is that guy working for the Bush campaign or something ?
That's not in question... Barnes is just a big contributor to Kerry, as Bob Perry is to Bush.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:11 PM

Please. What else would you be suggesting from the connection?
Heh, come on now Silky! How else can I say it other than IT'S NOT SURPRISING THAT ONE OF THE GUYS THAT'S TRYING TO SMEAR BUSH IS ALSO A MAJOR KERRY FUNDRAISER. Cripes, my 10-year old niece can understand and comprehend that statement without feeling the urge/necessity to read anything between the lines.

Read it over and over...let it sink in...take a deep breath...read it again...let it sink in...

serenity now...serenity now...

Maury

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:11 PM

edit: Far be it for me to break guidlines intentionally. sorry. New linky-dinky: http://nytimes.com/imagepages/2004/0...IFT_GRAPH.html
( Last edited by Silky Voice of The Gorn; Sep 8, 2004 at 02:00 PM. )

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:12 PM

Heh, come on now Silky! How else can I say it other than IT'S NOT SURPRISING THAT ONE OF THE GUYS THAT'S TRYING TO SMEAR BUSH IS ALSO A MAJOR KERRY FUNDRAISER. Cripes, my 10-year old niece can understand and comprehend that statement without feeling the urge/necessity to read anything between the lines.

Read it over and over...let it sink in...take a deep breath...read it again...let it sink in...

serenity now...serenity now...

Maury
Well at least we can agree on being Seinfeld fans

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:17 PM

Here are some interesting write-ups:

Under Oath, Barnes Testified He Had No Contact With Bush Family Concerning National Guard._ "Ben Barnes, then the speaker of the Texas House, said in 1999 that Sidney Adger, a Houston businessman and longtime friend of the Bush family whose son also won a slot in the 147th, had asked him to help get Mr. Bush into the Guard. Mr. Barnes, who acknowledged a role only after he was questioned under oath, also said that he had spoken to the head of the Texas Air National Guard on Mr. Bush's behalf, but had no contact with anyone in the Bush family._ And there is no direct evidence that Mr. Bush's family pulled strings to get him into the 147th. Mr. Bush is firmly on record denying it, as is the commander of the unit, and there is no paper trail showing any influence by the Bush family." _(David Barstow, "In Haze Of Guard Records, A Bit Of Clarity," The New York Times, 2/15/04)
Barnes Said Reports He Helped Bush At His Father's Urging Were "False." "Former Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes denied a magazine report Thursday that he helped George W. Bush get a place in the Texas Air National Guard at the urging of Bush's father._ Bush, the Republican presidential front-runner, has repeatedly denied that he received preferential treatment in being accepted into the Guard during the Vietnam War. � 'I never spoke to Congressman Bush about his son,' Barnes said Thursday. 'The story is false.'"_ (Renae Merle, "Barnes Denies Report That He Helped Bush Into The National Guard," The Associated Press, 7/15/99)
In Fall Of 1999, Barnes Said Bush Family Never Asked To Get President Bush Into National Guard._ "Mr. Bush has consistently said he never requested special treatment, though Ben Barnes, who was speaker of the Texas House in 1968, said in 1999 that he had been asked by a Houston businessman -- not by the Bush family -- to recommend Mr. Bush for a pilot's slot, and that he had done so."_ (David M. Halbfinger, "Three Decades Later, Vietnam Remains A Hot Issue," The New York Times, 8/29/04)
You can read more here.

Heh.
Maury

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 01:21 PM

Here are some interesting write-ups:

You can read more here.

Heh.
Maury
If anything, this makes the story more credible in my eyes. The man is admitting to breaking the law. This is an admission of personal culpability in excess of doing political favors.

I would prefer very much if he could back it up with documentation, but I doubt he was dumb enough to do any of this stuff in written form. Fortunately, there's plenty of circumstantial evidence that Bush was receiving special treatment - ie that somebody was pulling strings for him. Barnes just puts a face on it.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:27 PM

Click for full size image, for I choose to respect the image posting guidelines.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 02:12 PM

Aside from the fact that he didn't make those accusations first hand (he was relating what he others said), atrocities DID occur-they always occur in war.

http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=244
So the parts where he said "I personally witnessed..." and "I committed..." - those were second hand?

And, curiously, atrocities do often occur during war, but how many American servicemen came home, called their ex-Collegues the Army of Ghengis Khan? How many non-negotiators met with the North Vietnamese leadership while still a Navy officer?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
So the parts where he said "I personally witnessed..." and "I committed..." - those were second hand?
Please url me those quotes, I can't find them.

And, curiously, atrocities do often occur during war, but how many American servicemen came home, called their ex-Collegues the Army of Ghengis Khan?
I don't know how many servicemen called their colleagues Ghengis Khan, but Kerry didn't:

"They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, tape wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the country side of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country."

Forum Links
Forum Rules